Boise, Idaho

DesertHowler

New to the forum and researching stocks, muzzle brakes, and rings/bases. Current project is a tune-up of my Remington 700 Stainless Synthetic in 7mm-08. Been waiting on a reamer for almost 3 months. I really like the 7mm-08, but need a shorter throat so I can reach the lands and still fit rounds in the magazine. The rifle shoots quite well, but I may rebarrel, depending on the results of borescoping the factory bbl. I have my new scope; Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 x 40 with Hollands ART reticle and compact knobs. Goal of the project is a rifle capable of 500 yard accuracy on deer, wolf, coyote. I usually use a .204 Ruger on coyote or rockchucks, but I feel it is too light for wolves. I've taken one wolf in Idaho (at 30 yards), but I would like to get another.
I really like the look of Hollands thumbhole stock, but I'm not sure how much that would increase the overall weight. I also might keep the factory stock for its light weight, and pillar bed it. Will bedding compound adhere to the plastic stock, or do I need a fiberglass stock? So many questions and decisions. Part of the fun right?

If your going to bed the plastic stock it's best to drill a bunch of small holes in several directions to lock in the bedding.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.