bobcats

ryan olsen

I'm having trouble blowing up bobcats with my model 788 22-250. Can any help me find a load and bullet that wont destroy them. I'm shooting 50-300 yards. thanks

Either use a heavy bullet and slow it down or pick up a box of FMJ, preferably not the military ball bullets with a cannelure. It would help if you loaded them down some also. If you shoot them fast and hit the shoulder, you will get secondary damage from frags. Though a cats hide is fairly tough, much more so that a fox or coyote basically. But beware if you get away from a destructive bullet it may not knock the cat down instantly.

There is another option. You can pick a super fragile light bullet and drive it as fast as you can. In the hopes that it will poke a hole in and disentegrate and not exit. That depends that it won't blow a huge hole as it enters and that it won't exit. Works a bunch better on larger coyotes but depending on the size of cats I suspect it could work there too.

If it were me I'd try the FMJ route. Went that way with a blunt nosed 55 from speer in my 22-250 on turkeys. Found that speed was still very destructive but once I downloaded to around 223 speeds or under it worked pretty good.

Jeff

Ryan ,
Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a .17 Remington . Almost all the pro fox shooters used them here when skins were worth good money .
.22/250 is too much gun for consistent good skins I believe . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.