Blue thread loctite on scope rings or not

When I made my previous post......I may not have been completely clear!!! 🤔

I put blue Loctite in the scope ring saddles......to virtually guarantee that the scope will not slide in rings during recoil!

Putting some form of thread sealant/locker on all of the screws goes without saying. I thought that everyone did that! 😉

Perhaps I'm a bit "obsessive"......I like insurance. If my rifle was for paper or ringing steel "only".....perhaps I'd not go "overboard"! However, my rifle is a "hunting firearm".....I want the firearm, scope, and loads to be as reliable as possible. If there is a miss, I don't want any uncertainty......I want me, the shooter, to be the only "weak link in the chain"! memtb

Last edited:
The real question here is why are your scope rings coming loose....what is loose? Scope sliding or they set torque to 15 in lbs and now it is 12 in lbs?

I tend to install without thread compound. If it comes loose, I would apply purple 222 or blue 243. They never come loose now that I use a torque wrench, avoid crummy rings and lap lower tolerance rings.

The long range shooters I talk to, and myself, do not use Loctite. We use Vibra-TITE on the scope mounting screws. Good for about 5 screwing and unscrewing. It acts more like rubber cement and is effective for vibration due to many firings..

I was gently admonished by my 'smith for using locktight on scope bases. He said in no uncertain terms-don't do it. I never have used it on rings,'never even heard of using it on rings, No problems.

With loctite being applied. You can tap the head of the screw with a drift punch that fits the screw head size, take a small hammer to hit the punch, shocking the screw, that will generally brake the hold of the loctite. I do like the use of nail polish at the head of the screw. That seem to be a better way to me.

After using loctite on some rings and not using on others, I will now only use Nightforce rings with a Wheeler torque wrench and no loctite. I will check them from time to time, but have yet to have any issues with screws loosening.
I know there are other companies that make rings just as solid as NF, but unless it's an emergency, I won't use any others.

I forgot to mention that I try to be very meticulous when tightening each screw, being careful not to advance one too far ahead of the others. It takes a few minutes longer, but it keeps from putting your scope
"In a bind", which can cause problems.

It could be the rings may be stretching a little instead of coming loose.I've seen that a few times after mounting a scope without shooting it double checking before going to the range.If you do use loctite,apply heat before trying to remove screws.Heat will soften or return it back to a more liquid form making it easy to remove.