Blue Dot long range loads

Blancoalex

Newbie sharing some Blue Dot reduced loads experience.

First Thanks to James Calhoun and Seafire sharing their reduced loads knowledge with everyone.

My first Blue Dot experience goes back at least ten years ago in our 223 rifles using 40 vmax and BD. This then has expanded to many other rounds to produce light effective loads. In fact most our rifles have full powered hunting loads that has sister light varmint BE load that shoots to same POI as full power load.

Few months ago we started playing with 22rf's out to 400 yds. This got us to thinking what if we went another direction with BD and send heavy high BC bullets.

This lead to my creation of using Hornady 105hpbt in my 6mm Remington. My load pushes the 105 hpbt at 2540fps avg and small ES with this load. I have become fairly consistent hitting 8-10" rocks at 700yds.

This has created a fun accurate low recoil long range practice load. Now with this knowledge we are going to expand to our 7mm SAUM.

Hopefully this help others create fun low recoil practice loads for the off season. Always have fun ,be smart and safe with your reloading.

Jjlo63 if you search Seafire info he has a formula to follow. Our "goal" with the 7saum is 168 & 180 vids in 2200-2400fps range. It is even cooler to shoot BD loads with our Suppressor. We will also start work working with IMR 4198 also for reduced loads but may take few weeks to do that working around our busy schedules. Always remember to be smart with BD we weigh the charge and then seat bullet before moving onto next round.

Yesterday took time to go ahead and make up light recoil 7mm SAUM load. I started with Berger 168 vld hunting bullet which is what is used in my normal hunting load at 2850fps not super fast but accurate. I started with Blue Dot and worked up to 27 grs and only got a nice pressure load of 2250 fps. Didn't like this as really hoped for 2400 fps. By changing to IMR4198 I was able to get to 2625 fps with very small SD/ES. As you can see this is only 200 fps slower than normal load. We are fortunate to be able to shoot out to 1200 yds at our place. This IMR4198/2625 load was very consistent out to our 960 yd 14" rock. This puts the practice load's recoil right below a normal 243 Win load. Now with my Shooter app I can just select either the regular hunting load or the practice load and be using the exact same rifle and scope.

just reading this, this is Seafire. found this on a google search about something else... was inspirational to read this thread. you gentlemen are now going to have me actually try this... I've used Blue Dot loads in larger than 223s etc, for just hunting and for kids and women, or low recoil users. Going to try this out. Now students are teaching the teacher... Thanks very much Fellas!

Howdy Seafire , myself and many others have benefited from you sharing your reduced load work. Just today was shooting a favorite self built carbon fiber barrel rifle in 243Win. My BD 55Bt and Nosler 85Partion are good to 300 having similar POI's. Being suppressed is the icing on the cake. Blue Dot and IMR4198 powders are 2 used a lot.

Howdy GrayCreed , i would suggest you try IMR4198. If you can find a copy of the old IMR Handloaders Guide. There is 3 - 7mm Rem Mag loads listed for 120, 150, and 175 gr bullets using IMR 4198. Besides the reduced recoil you will have some good accuracy. A perfect example is my 300 Wby using 175OTM and 4198. If you want can PM you pic of 7RM loads fr on the old Handloaders Guide.

Howdy GrayCreed , i would suggest you try IMR4198. If you can find a copy of the old IMR Handloaders Guide. There is 3 - 7mm Rem Mag loads listed for 120, 150, and 175 gr bullets using IMR 4198. Besides the reduced recoil you will have some good accuracy. A perfect example is my 300 Wby using 175OTM and 4198. If you want can PM you pic of 7RM loads fr on the old Handloaders Guide.
I was going to try that but couldn't find IMR 4198, saw somewhere where it said 5744 has been around even longer and that was available so I got some. Wondering how close in speed/density 5744 is to IMR 4198.

Sorry, I have no firsthand experience with 5744 so unable to help you.
Maybe someone else can help.

Sorry, I have no firsthand experience with 5744 so unable to help you.
Maybe someone else can help.
Thanks anyway very much, it's interesting hearing people talk about their findings which I learn alot from. Never heard of reduced loads with blue dot before so this was all very interesting

They do work BUT you have to be diligent in your loading. Our process is to weigh only one charge at a time and immediately seat the bullet. If you ever think you goofed pull the bullet and dump the charge. Better to be safe.