Blown Primer when switching to WLR from CCI

I had the same issues several years ago with WLRM primers in 300 WM & Winchester brass.

2 times severely pitted the bolt face was enough for me to never buy em again.

No problems with cci.

I have only used CCI Primers thus far, but loaded up 20 rounds of my usual 30-06 load with WLR primers this time and decided to Crono them to see if it affected my load (58gr IMR 4831 under 168 gr A-Max). This was in some Federal Brass that has been reloaded 5 times.

I noticed that the WLR primers were not seating as tight (hand priming tool) as the CCI primers. They were seated though and didn't back out any when seating the bullet. Yes the difference in force needed to prime was enough to make me check but everything was fine and I chalked it up to the WLR primers being made with a softer material.

Well sure as ----, 12th WLR round decided to blow a pin hole along side the primer. I looked at the brass and got ----ed and threw the casing off a cliff near me and immediately regretted not saving it after I inspected my rifle to find a very deep pit in the bolt face ( I am glad I didn't end up with hot gas in my face, Thanks Tikka ).

What I don't understand is how this can happen. Seems to me the Primer would recoil into the bolt face and seal around the primer hole vs blowing a hole like that. I did a quick google search and others have had WLR primers do the same thing.

So my question is to any experienced reloaders out there: Is this a known issue with WLR primers? Federal Brass? Where might I have gone wrong, perhaps I need to inspect primer pockets better or not use WLR primers if they don't seem to seal as tight as the CCI primers do? All the rounds with CCI primers went in tight as usual, so I figured the brass was fine and the WLR used a softer (brass) cup, was this my mistake?

I have only used CCI Primers thus far, but loaded up 20 rounds of my usual 30-06 load with WLR primers this time and decided to Crono them to see if it affected my load (58gr IMR 4831 under 168 gr A-Max). This was in some Federal Brass that has been reloaded 5 times.

I noticed that the WLR primers were not seating as tight (hand priming tool) as the CCI primers. They were seated though and didn't back out any when seating the bullet. Yes the difference in force needed to prime was enough to make me check but everything was fine and I chalked it up to the WLR primers being made with a softer material.

Well sure as ----, 12th WLR round decided to blow a pin hole along side the primer. I looked at the brass and got ----ed and threw the casing off a cliff near me and immediately regretted not saving it after I inspected my rifle to find a very deep pit in the bolt face ( I am glad I didn't end up with hot gas in my face, Thanks Tikka ).

What I don't understand is how this can happen. Seems to me the Primer would recoil into the bolt face and seal around the primer hole vs blowing a hole like that. I did a quick google search and others have had WLR primers do the same thing.

So my question is to any experienced reloaders out there: Is this a known issue with WLR primers? Federal Brass? Where might I have gone wrong, perhaps I need to inspect primer pockets better or not use WLR primers if they don't seem to seal as tight as the CCI primers do? All the rounds with CCI primers went in tight as usual, so I figured the brass was fine and the WLR used a softer (brass) cup, was this my mistake?

I once used WLR they were loose fitting, they are somewhere laying in a box...CCI one of the best for reloading then comes to Federal and Remington primers. Also, I reload for the old reliable 30-06 government cartridge, so I have a lot of 30-06 cartridges. What I did was to take a paper clip straightened out form a hook shape to a point long enough to go all the way to the bottom of the case to check for inside case thinning line that sometimes can't be seen outside of the case. Plus seven rifles in 30-06 plus 30-06 improved.

Wow this has me perplexed.
I have been using Winchester primers for pistols and rifles since 1970 and never had a primer pierce through like that.
I reload for myself only and for a time for 1 friend so I have not loaded as much as some of you guys most likely.
I still have a 3 or 4 of bricks of primers unopened as well a few boxes opened.
I will treat this with the utmost importance.
Thanks guys
Old Rooster

Anytime time I switch a componet from a PET-LOAD I reduce the charge to the minimum and then work it up to PET LOAD status. Reason being is ALL COMPONETS ARE DIFFERENT & FOR SAFETY REASONS as YOU well know now! I personally prefer FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL MATCH Primers, but at times they're hard to get. CCI are fine primers and seem to always be available. But I prefer FEDERAL GMM's! However in August 2017 I had a FEDERAL GMM 205 primer COMPLETELY EXPLODE & DISINTEGRATE in a KNOWN TRIED & TRUED PETLOAD! This was in my custom built 17-VLR. A 500 yard Benchrest accuracy varmint rifle. 223 Lapua brass necked & formed to .17-VLR, FIREFORMED to Chamber, then Re-loaded with 22.0 grs of Vihtavorhi N-135, .37gr Berger VLD (Discontinued) Bullet, but I have a few thousand Squirreled away. 4600FPS with 5 shot group at 100 yards of .197! Have fired over 330 rounds with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! Then 8/15/2017 came and while Groundhog hunting here in SW Pennsylvania on that beautiful summer evening BLAM!!! Scope went WHITE! Felt like a horse KICKED ME IN MY FACE! HIGH VELOCITY BLOOD SPLATTER on my Rifle, Scope, Rest & Shooting blanket! Also all over my face & R arm & hand. Once I recovered enough to get up and fetch my thrown rifle (Reaction to Explosion) I had NO Trouble opening the bolt. NO SIGN of EXTREME PRESSURE. The spent case extracted smoothly & normally. However upon examining the case, there was NO PRIMER AT ALL! NOTHING! This is a Single shot Bench gun, NO MAGAZINE OR CLIP! NO SIGN of the primer in the action anywhere! I measured the primer pocket and it was fine, In Spec. I called FEDERAL and THEY LISTENED! THATS ALL, they LISTENED! I heard the tapping of keys from a computer keyboard while telling their tech what had occurred. Obviously they were documenting every word I spoke. I even went to VISTA OUTDOORS, formerly known as FEDERAL in Anoka, MN with the unused 600 primers in the box of 1000 I had used entirely for my .17-VLR, the 67 loaded live rounds I had left with the SAME FEDERAL GMM 205 Primers, and the BOLT from the rifle. NOTHING! THEY WOULDN'T EVEN TALK TO ME! I ASSURED them I had ZERO INTENTION OF FILING A LAWSUIT & that I STILL PREFERED their primers (FEDERAL) over & above ALL other brands. NOTHING! They DID NOT & WOULD NOT TALK to ME once they knew I was a HANDLOADER! I have 50+ years experience plus my Fathers 70+ years of experience loading and NEVER, EVER, EVER have had accident! I took the bolt to my Gunsmith whom built the rifle, he dismantled it and it was FULL OF METAL and DEBRIS from the BLOWN PRIMER! MY EYE WAS FULL OF METAL AND DEBRIS from the BLOWN PRIMER! ALL the HOT GAS, PRESSURE and METAL and DEBRIS came BACK THRU the BOLT BODY & FIRING PIN ASSEMBLY INTO MY RIGHT EYE! 3 EYE OPERATIONS later I still have Metal embedded into the 3rd layer of my Corneia! My Vision is different, but correctable with glasses and the Optics I use while shooting. I NO LONGER am able to get MRI's for the rest of my life due to the METAL in my R eyeball. All this from 1 little tiny FEDERAL 205 GOLD METAL MATCH PRIMER that OBVIOUSLY was DEFECTIVE and EXPLODED in my FACE! WELL and PROPERLY MAINTAINED RIFLE. WELL KNOWN and TRIED & TRUE LOAD. EXACTLY ALL THE SAME COMPONETS USED. ???????????? It was that 1 lil BAD PRIMER! I'm THANKFUL that's ALL IT WAS! I THANK GOD I CAN STILL SEE! I STILL LOAD! I STILL SHOOT! I STILL USE & PREFER FEDERAL GOLD METAL MATCH PRIMERS!
I NOW WEAR SHOOTING GLASSES EVERY TIME I SHOOT! NO ONLY FOR HANDGUNS, BUT RIFLES AS WELL!
Theosmithjr.

Last edited:
post a picture of your bolt face , if possible . I'm guessing it's fine to use , just a cosmetic blemish .

boltface.jpg

WOW!!!! That cut deep. Just imagine what could happen to your eyes. Add Theo's story and it makes my blood run cold. Wonder if I can set a 2nd pair of shooting glasses on top of my others.

82A9327F-D406-4587-BA19-227B82612909.jpeg This is what the primer/brass looked like..... this is NOT an image the primer/brass that blew out on me in my rifle, unfortunately I was upset an chucked the brass after looking at it. Primer was still seated fine and no pressure signs or anything other then a pin hole on edge of cup and carbon from the gas that pitted my bolt face. I had been getting Chrono readings and was shooting groups, so I was checking the brass each time I fired, because I switch primer and I knew that they seated with much less force into the brass than the CCI primers did.

I had a load developed that was grouping great and I was happy with: 3006, 58gr IMR4831 @ 2750fps. Book max was 59.5 @ 2900fps. I just wanted to see if I could use CCI200/WLR primers without it affecting accuracy or velocity because I was running low on CCI primers and have a ton of WLR primers.

OK, I have been googling my computer off trying to find out about a WLR primer recall. I can't find anything official from Winchester/Olin about a recall but find lots of info on forums and such.

I started looking through my load books from last fall and my spent brass. I seem to have gone through 2 boxes of WLR. I have a bunch of sized brass with them in it and spent brass from 2 loads I was developing with it (I forgot I loaded up those to burn with my brother on a range trip with his rifle). I only found 1 empty primer box (img below). They are part of recall according to a post on another forum but wish I could find an official recall list from Winchester on the Internet.

I found this on another forum:

Winchester Primer Leakage Lot #

CAL401G
CCL435G
CFL486G
CGL499G
CHL514G
CLL536G
CLL552G
CLL555G
CLL556G
CML121G
CML1470
CML571G
CML741G
CNL584G
DAL594G
DDL683G
DEL690G
DEL694G
DEL702g
DFL188g - WLRM
DFL713G
DFL719G
DFL722G
DFL723G
DFL726G
DGL731G
DGL739G
DGL741G
DGL747G
DHL765G
DHL766G
DKL801G
DLL 212G - WLRM
DLL 219G - WLRM
DLL826G
DML834G
DML834G
DNL 836G
DNL 837G
DNL 837G
DNL 837G
DNL836G
DNL836G
DNL836G
EAL234G
EAL234G
EAL234G
EAL234G WLRM
EAL234G WLRM
EHL067G
EKL071G
FEL255G
GCL211G
GCL211G
GDL 225G
GDL 225G
GDL225G
GDL255G
GEL250G
GEL258g
GFL284G
HEL374G
HKL687G
HKL687G
HLL692G
YKL270G
All with the following prefix
BDL
CFL
EFL
DFL
HBL
HFL
DHL
HCL
HAL
20190126_144744 - Copy.jpg

Theo,
I'm "Very Sorry" to read about your experience with a faulty primer.
Even more that you received such disregard and treatment from a manufacture that many of us utilize daily in such a field of pride and enjoyment for so many of us!
Your incident is a warning to us all, to take nothing for granted and to let caution be the rule of the day, if not for our sake let it be for those we love and cherish...
God be with you sir...

Had the same thing happen to me with WLR primers. Contacted winchester and they gave no reply back with the 2 emails I sent. Went to cci. This happened with 3 different rifles. Same batch of primers.
Disposed of the rest. No more WLR.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.