Blood trailing lights - do they really work?

rlshrumva

I'm looking to buy one of the blood trailing lights for big game hunting. I've researched them to some degree, but I've never used one… the two (2) that seem to have the best ratings are:

1. Primos Bloodhunter - many types/models, so I'm hopeful to hear your thoughts/recommendations.

2. Bushnell TRKR - same as above

However I see several (mostly unrecognizable brands - at least to me) with blue filters. Are these the same as above or as good?

I'm color blind so any help from a tool like this may be a game changer for me. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Tagging in. I have a difficult time finding small droplets but my hunting buddy can pick out a drop like it's fluorescent orange! I've read that some people are better at seeing red and most women see it better than men.
I use Duracell 3 c lights I bought off eBay for 16 dollars a piece they are super bright have adjustable beams and work really well I bought 3 of the so if one quits another is ready my son bought a light that is rechargeable that cost 170.00 that is a shade brighter than mine but when his is dead in the middle of the timber your screwed I'll keep mine and I've owned a lot of different ones so far these are the best for the money. David

I read up on this a bunch when I took up bow hunting again. Lots of options and opinions. Coleman lantern that runs on white gas with foil covering the back half was recommended by quite a few. So that is what sits in my truck, fortunately for me but unfortunately for this thread I have not had to use it yet so no personal experience to report. An early poster talked about the difference in peoples eyes which makes this difficult to come to consensus I believe.

I read up on this a bunch when I took up bow hunting again. Lots of options and opinions. Coleman lantern that runs on white gas with foil covering the back half was recommended by quite a few. So that is what sits in my truck, fortunately for me but unfortunately for this thread I have not had to use it yet so no personal experience to report. An early poster talked about the difference in peoples eyes which makes this difficult to come to consensus I believe.
EXACTLY. Nothing any better than the light it throws off. The only down size IF you have a looooong trailing job, is the heat it emits and your upper body bent over is over the lantern.…you can get real warm on a warm night. Unfortunately been there done that.

Many years ago on a camp in hunt we knocked down a deer and couldn't find blood. One of us hiked back to camp and brought back a Coleman Mantel type lantern. Didn't have the aluminum foil. It blinded us in the dark but it did work well. Made the droplets really stand out. It did not take well to bumping into brush though. The mantel busted up quickly and became useless but we got the deer.

Many years ago on a camp in hunt we knocked down a deer and couldn't find blood. One of us hiked back to camp and brought back a Coleman Mantel type lantern. Didn't have the aluminum foil. It blinded us in the dark but it did work well. Made the droplets really stand out. It did not take well to bumping into brush though. The mantel busted up quickly and became useless but we got the deer.
You can't bang up against the trees. Lol.

I have tried all sorts of blood trailing lights and combinations. I would much rather have a very good headlamp and a dependable, dual setting (hi/low) LED handheld light, with spare batteries in my bag or pocket.

I like red or green light filters for sneaking up to a deer stand in the dark or using inside a blind while setting up. Other than that, give me the above.

It's true what they say about women's eyes and tracking blood. Years back, before developments were built, I would bow hunt behind my house. wounded deer would jump right into briar thickets that were a few feet away. I lost a deer in there once. Another, after I shot it, I came up to the house to get the coleman lantern and my son was there with his new girlfriend. She said she could find the deer. Darned if she didn't find blood right where I hit the deer, I saw none and she crawled on all fours for about 45 yards through that thicket till she found the deer. I told my son that she was a keeper, but he didn't listen. The one he married doesn't track worth a ****.

Recent Posts