Blogging My sheep hunt!

Honestly I have not scored him yet. Fish and game are out of plugs, so they havent done it. And I have been so busy, I havent either. Rough measurement gives 170-175. I am so happy with the ram, I really couldnt care less about the score. Everyone I show him too simply says, he is way bigger than he looks in the pictures!

Honestly I have not scored him yet. Fish and game are out of plugs, so they havent done it. And I have been so busy, I havent either. Rough measurement gives 170-175. I am so happy with the ram, I really couldnt care less about the score. Everyone I show him too simply says, he is way bigger than he looks in the pictures!

Very cool. When I shot mine, I was perfectly calm for the first shot. After I shot and saw I hit it, I started shaking like a leaf...the follow up shots were all on the money though... weird. :(

Now you will have the long wait with the taxidermist. :D

Congrats, that's a beautiful ram! I've really enjoyed following your "blog"!

Sounds like you got some good advice from Tyler through the trip! I'd be making sure he comes along on future hunts.

Living up here in Alberta, I'm always amazed at the differing terrain that Bighorns live in.

Cheers!

Thanks guys!

It amazed me when I went scouting that they live there. Not a tree in sight. Just boulders, grass and cactus!

Equipement list:

300 Ultra mag, ABS carbon barrel, M700 LA, McMillan Remington hunter stock with edge technology, OPS inc. Brake, ACCULOCK Rings and Bases, Leupold 4.5-14x50 M1 Duplex. Built by Precision Shooting Sports Inc.

178 AMAX, 87gr. RL22, Fed 215M Remington brass. 3300 fps

Swarovski Lazerguide 1500
Swarovski STS 80 HD Spotter
Swarovski SL 10x50 Binocular

Horus Vision ATRAG MP ballistics program
Zodiac Palm

Brunton handheld weather station.

Camelback Mother lLoad pack. (You can stuff 75lbs of meat in there)

Have you scheduled the operation yet to have that grin surgically removed?;);)

Congratulations on a great ram. That's what most people only dream of doing.

Way to go George, good lookin' Ram. Next time you come to my shop bring stacks of pics and don't forget any of the details !!!!! ---- RHB

Congratulations George!!!!!!!

Excellent story, great worked you did in every aspect of this hunt. Preparation for it, asking for advice, scouting, hunting, and solving problems during your hunt that led you to SUCCESS. Knowing the area you were hunting was a great key for making it happen.

I am one of the dreamers. Hopefully someday will be able to live such an awesome experience.

Havent told us what your wife said about it.

Thanks for sharing it since you got your tag.

I have learned a lot reading this story.

One question: Did all the advice that you got through www.
longrangehunting.com helped you during your hunt?

By reading it I think it did.

CONGRATULATIONS

Last edited:
Thanks again guys!

With this hunt, I tried very hard to forget everything that I thought I kwew about hunting and took every piece of advise I could get. From the experts that have been in the unit to the biologist, my son, my hunting partners and including my daughter that for the life of her cant figure out why I kill pretty animals. She understood how important it was to me and gave up her time with me so I could realize my dream.

My is great with it. She tells everyone about my hunt and asks people all the time if they want to see the sheep in the freezer. She was so supportive and understanding. I am truly blessed. This was the hunt of a lifetime. I wish I could do it every year.

BTW: Sheep is the best wild game I have ever tasted!

Thanks for all the advise that you guys have given, it was truly helpful.

Just a follow up on my shooting abilities on the ram.

This weekend my son, my good friend John, and I went on a youth only late season elk hunt. It was a bust, but we found some prairie dogs.

First shot with my 300 ultra at 408 yards was one inch over the PD's back. Second shot was dead on and vaporized the dog! Go figure. I was having a hard time hitting a ram at just over 300 yards. Its not the gun!lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.