blocking off a muzzle brake?

sambo3006

I have a Rem 700 factory barreled 7mm mag that I bought used. It has a generic muzzle brake on it with holes all the way around. It shoots amazing (half moa or better consistently for 3 shots) but I don't like the increased noise level. I usually hunt in the woods where I need my hearing to hear deer walking or grunting and shots may occur with little warning so earplugs are not a realistic option.

I can't get the brake off. I have heated it up and put a lot of torque on it, no dice. Is there a way I can block off the brake safely? Preferrably something I could remove if I want to shoot with the brake open for more deliberate long range shots.

I am not sure about yours, but my buddies Remington 700 7stw with a brake on it from the Remington factory is lefthand threads. You might want to check yours.

If they used a permanent thread locking material you might have to apply quite a bit of heat to get it off.

Thought of both of those and don't want to go either of those routes.
I'll try heating it up really hot to see if it will come off. If not, I wonder if a couple of wraps of aluminum foil with some layers of tape around it would work for a couple of shots?

I wrap my brakes with electrical tape to keep stuff out of them and the tape is gone when I shoot and brake works normal. You'd be trying to contain 7000+ psi of exit pressure.

Thought of both of those and don't want to go either of those routes.
I'll try heating it up really hot to see if it will come off. If not, I wonder if a couple of wraps of aluminum foil with some layers of tape around it would work for a couple of shots?

That is probably not a good idea. A friend of mine laid across the tail gate of his pickup to fire at something. His brake had three ports on each side and three out the top. The entire tail light and housing were destroyed. I have heard of guys blowing out a windshield doing that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.