Blm maps for sale on this site

Driller54

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the two maps for sale on this particular site and if one is any better than the other?

The cheaper BLM version does not show who actually owns the private land and that is the only difference. The PLAT version actually gives the name of who owns the private property that you put your pointer on. I bought the cheaper chip for Wyoming because I didn't feel the need to know who owned it. Check your inbox for a PM!

You can go up as high in price as to what lights your fire. I bought the Garmin HCx on Amazon.com for $153 to my door and it's all I need. I just updated my Wyoming BLM SD chip right online with my USB port this morning with the new system they have in place that no longer requires you to mail them the chip. IMHO their product and service is better than sliced bread, LOL!

I don't know about top of the line but I bought a Garmin Oregon 450 this summer and also bought the sd card these guys are talking about.
The gps unit is a giant upgrade from my old Lowrance and the map card is spectacular. The folks that sell the card are super, both before and after the sale.

You can go up as high in price as to what lights your fire. I bought the Garmin HCx on Amazon.com for $153 to my door and it's all I need. I just updated my Wyoming BLM SD chip right online with my USB port this morning with the new system they have in place that no longer requires you to mail them the chip. IMHO their product and service is better than sliced bread, LOL!

Hey Topgun,
I just did the same thing, this morning too. We have the exact same setup. The $40.00 was a little hard to swallow but I did it anyway.

Bob

I had the freebie coming since I bought my Legend HCx within their timeframe, which I didn't know about originally until it came up on the forums. I thought you had one freebie coming any time you wanted to use it and then found out differently. I wouldn't think there would be much need for yearly updates now that they have had the chips out for awhile, unless they come out with more stuff on them. Then I'll make the decision whether to pay the $40 upgrade. I think the chips are expensive, but more than worth the money just to avoid a trespass ticket if you hunt where there is a mixture of public and private lands. Did you get any kind of an email notice like they said we would get about doing the upgrade online instead of mailing the chip in? I actually went on their site to send them an email asking about it and saw what I thought was the new setup and sure enough it was. I had a little trouble at the start because it kept saying it didn't recognize my chip. Then I read the little ditty on the screen that said I might need to go into the Setup and do one little thing to get it to respond and it did. It was something to do with USB Mass Storage and when I clicked on it everything started up. I'm sure not a computer nerd, but it was neat doing it online and not having to risk chip damage like you would if you had to mail it in the old way.

On their website, there is a change log for each of the maps to show what they have updated since the last version. I just look at that to decide if there are enough changes to make me want to update my map. The updates are optional, and the BLM update is actually $20.00. It's the PLAT maps that are $40. I've been a customer since November of 2010, after I received a $135 trespassing fine for being on land I was sure was part of the Block Management area I was hunting. The game warden pulled out his gps, and showed me, using a hunting gps map, that I was on the wrong property. He told me where I could obtain the product he was using, and I have been happily using the map ever since, and choosing to update based on the data provided by Hunting Gps Maps.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the two maps for sale on this particular site and if one is any better than the other?
I'm fairly new to the site and I'm looking to find maps i can get for certain areas like you stated but am unsure where to look for the maps for sale like you were mentioning!! Can anyone point me in the right direction!!! Thanks

If you are talking about SD Chips for the Garmin GPS line like we are discussing on this thread, you can go to the online store on this website at this link: GPS Hunting Topo Maps - Long Range Hunting Supplies and Gear The BLM version is exactly like the Plat version, other than it doesn't have the actual name of the property owner and only says "private" when you put your pointer on a spot that is privately owned. Each chip is good for one entire state.

1:100,000 BLM maps go for about $4 at BLM offices. National Forest/Grassland maps sell at the US Forest Service Offices for a hair more.

You can also get 1:24000 maps (much more detailed) from the USGS Map Store on line. They run $8 each, (some are on sale for $1.

The USGS has extremely fast service. they say standard shipment is 7-15 days, I average 4-5 days from my order until I recieve the maps.

Just some information.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.