BLM (Barrel length matters!)

All right gentlemen so this morning I went and shot it with magneto speed and it came out to 2470 and then it dropped to 2251 so I believe somethings wrong with the magneto speed I'm going to redo this with a LabRadar. I've also got Benchmark looking at donating a 30 caliber barrel 7 mm and a 65 so I can do it with a new barrel I'm gonna leave this up for the rest of the day and then I'm going to pull the video, just so you guys know that I'm doing the right thing and not just hiding the video if there was something wrong

All right gentlemen so this morning I went and shot it with magneto speed and it came out to 2470 and then it dropped to 2251 so I believe somethings wrong with the magneto speed I'm going to redo this with a LabRadar. I've also got Benchmark looking at donating a 30 caliber barrel 7 mm and a 65 so I can do it with a new barrel I'm gonna leave this up for the rest of the day and then I'm going to pull the video, just so you guys know that I'm doing the right thing and not just hiding the video if there was something wrong
2470 sounds much more sensible

Thanks for checking

Old school gun Barrel with over 4500 rounds fired
6.5 creedmoor
Factory 140 ELDM Hornady ammo

All right gentlemen so this morning I went and shot it with magneto speed and it came out to 18 inch -2470 and then it dropped to 2251 so I believe somethings wrong with the magneto speed I'm going to redo this with a LabRadar. I've also got Benchmark looking at donating a 30 caliber barrel 7 mm and a 65 so I can do it with a new barrel I'm gonna leave this up for the rest of the day and then I'm going to pull the video, just so you guys know that I'm doing the right thing and not just hiding the video if there was something wrong

It would be curious to see what a few different suppressors attached to the short barrel could produce. And the effects they may have or not.

Fun, I'd like larger velocity samples at each length but still fun.

Hornady ammo is usually slow, but 2281 in an 18" is rough.

For reference, my tikka chopped to 16.25" is running ~2430 with factory norma 143 match. So the 2470 number seems far closer.

My 26" bartlein shoots the same load ~2740

Though, that's from drops to 1k I never strapped my magneto on. It hardly gets used anymore after I melted the mount with my can 😬

Last edited:
Fun, I'd like larger velocity samples at each length but still fun.

Hornady ammo is usually slow, but 2281 in an 18" is rough.

For reference, my tikka chopped to 16.25" is running ~2430 with factory norma 143 match. So the 2470 number seems far closer.

My 26" bartlein shoots the same load ~2740

Though, that's from drops to 1k I never strapped my magneto on. It hardly gets used anymore after I melted the mount with my can 😬
I have given thoughts to buying a Magneto. But I keep reading about the issues with the mounting system they use. Which has swayed me away from buying one for now. Although I do like to fabricate things. I have been giving some thought to buying one. And see if I could not fabricate a better mounting system from easily had products online. Or fabricate from aluminum. Possibly a mount to the stock as to the barrel. It may look like a Frankenstein, but if it kept from changing the harmonics of the barrel. That would be a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Here's a Rifle Shooter article on this from 2016

Chopping a 6.5 Creedmoor

They updated the article in 2019

Chopping a 6.5 Creedmoor 2019

Their velocity even down to 16" exceeded the results here. I agree with the faulty chronograph assessment.

Just for further reference. They did this with .300 win, 308 win, and 7mm rem mag too. I mentioned it earlier but was lazy and didn't insert links so y'all inspired me to make it easy for others haha.

One thing that's clear…out of truly SHORT barrels that .308 is a lovable cartridge!

Also i imagine that "concussive" might be an apt descriptor for a 16" .300 Winnie 🤣

Last edited:

Chopping a 6.5 Creedmoor

Their velocity even down to 16" exceeded the results here. I agree with the faulty chronograph assessment.
Thanks for putting that up, a reduction of 20-25 fps per inch makes sense to me. Bigger cases I found more like 25-30 fps per inch.

Good stuff-thx

Chopping a 6.5 Creedmoor

I do like the system that MK Machining designed for the Magneto, but I see where I would change a few things in my fab. Not far off from what I had in mind though. Thanks for the article.

Just for further reference. They did this with .300 win, 308 win, and 7mm rem mag too. I mentioned it earlier but was lazy and didn't insert links so y'all inspired me to make it easy for others haha.

One thing that's clear…out of truly SHORT barrels that .308 is a lovable cartridge!

Also i imagine that "concussive" might be an apt descriptor for a 16" .300 Winnie 🤣
I have never owned a 308. But then my brother was a 308 nut. Possibly why I never got one. lol But I have been giving it some serious thought these days. And a short barrel with a suppressor is sounding even better.

I have never owned a 308. But then my brother was a 308 nut. Possibly why I never got one. lol But I have been giving it some serious thought these days. And a short barrel with a suppressor is sounding even better.
I used to have one. Sold it. Don't miss it. Times were tough and had kids to feed so listed a few guns, that was the only one anyone wanted. An old win model 88 lever gun. As neat a rifle as it was I never did like the way it handled, just wasn't for me. For non tubular hi power lever guns the BLR and 88 have always felt awkward to me and the lever itself wasn't smooth and kind of pinched my fingers I thought. Im a savage 99 man all the way! My brother in law has a 99 in 308 and I have one in 243.

But I will say the .308 just makes sense practically, which is probably why I feel nothing for it! 🤣. Have a friend who is a pastor getting into hunting. He is on a very tight pastors budget and knows what a gun nut i am. Only has money for one rifle to hunt everything in Saskatchewan. He asked if I thought he'd be making a mistake to go with a savage 111 in .308 Winchester. I affirmed that this was probably the single smartest set up he could start with.

I used to have one. Sold it. Don't miss it. Times were tough and had kids to feed so listed a few guns, that was the only one anyone wanted. An old win model 88 lever gun. As neat a rifle as it was I never did like the way it handled, just wasn't for me. For non tubular hi power lever guns the BLR and 88 have always felt awkward to me and the lever itself wasn't smooth and kind of pinched my fingers I thought. Im a savage 99 man all the way! My brother in law has a 99 in 308 and I have one in 243.

But I will say the .308 just makes sense practically, which is probably why I feel nothing for it! 🤣. Have a friend who is a pastor getting into hunting. He is on a very tight pastors budget and knows what a gun nut i am. Only has money for one rifle to hunt everything in Saskatchewan. He asked if I thought he'd be making a mistake to go with a savage 111 in .308 Winchester. I affirmed that this was probably the single smartest set up he could start with.
I have a 99 in 300 Savage. Not sure on the model. It is a take down model & light weight. Feels really good when shouldered. I bought some reloads at a auction for the brass. But they need to be disassembled & reloaded. I have learnt my lesson using someone else reloads. Being impatient & trying to cut corners. lol

I have a 99 in 300 Savage. Not sure on the model. It is a take down model & light weight. Feels really good when shouldered. I bought some reloads at a auction for the brass. But they need to be disassembled & reloaded. I have learnt my lesson using someone else reloads. Being impatient & trying to cut corners. lol

Cool! A classic rifle in a classic cartridge.

I'm well aware of my weakness haha…as in, if a savage 99 in decent shape shows up in .250-3000 savage, 284 Winchester, or .358 Winchester I'd be too weak not to at least take a good long look 🤣

Recent Posts