blinds or treestands ?

That really depends on the location I am hunting. I have one spot that is an old wooden picnic table on a gas pipe line right of way. We have a scare crow setting there, so the silhouette never changes when we set there. It also serves as a shooting bench for target practice out to 823 yards. I have tree stands for travel corridors and blinds at feeders.

I hunt open territory where it's just the hunter vs the game. But if I were to use any style of concealment I'd choose the blind. Tree stands require a lot of calculations for the angle of the shot, which can vary dramatically in a tree stand, and tree stands offer a whole new level of hunter safety issues that I don't want to deal with. Feeders aren't legal in this state (and I don't believe they're an ethical hunting practice - it's called "hunting" for a reason.) so I can't address that issue from the point of expereience.

I hunt open territory where it's just the hunter vs the game. But if I were to use any style of concealment I'd choose the blind. Tree stands require a lot of calculations for the angle of the shot, which can vary dramatically in a tree stand, and tree stands offer a whole new level of hunter safety issues that I don't want to deal with. Feeders aren't legal in this state (and I don't believe they're an ethical hunting practice - it's called "hunting" for a reason.) so I can't address that issue from the point of experience.

i agree with you about the use of tree stand, angle is everything and just a slight change in the prey's movement can get a whole lot. but of bating is used while the hunter shoots from a stand, then that might be helpful.

Blinds mostly but, I do hunt from some ladder stands in some places as well as finding a nice, soft rock to sit on.
In my hunts out west, I tend to find a nice tree to lean against. One location is on the edge of a canyon. There I'll set up a 'shooting blind' that is nothing more than a rolled up light-weight pad and a comfy seat. Works just like I was at the range.

I do more spot and stalk than anything at this point but I like to bow hunt out if hang on stands. I hunt with kids a lot which makes spot and stalk tough. I've gotten used to hunting in blinds since my kids started going with me. They all serve they're purpose well.

There is no pat answer to the question. It all depends on several variables. Location, weapon being used, weather. For rifle hunting a blind is the cat's meow. Who wouldn't prefer a comfy chair in a dry and warm blind? Tree stands have a definite advantage for bow hunting in that they can be moved easily year to year, or during the season. Crops change here year to year, thus altering travel patterns. Even within the course of our 4 month bow season, travel patterns can and do change. As to tree stands, I like the comfort of a two man ladder type stand. I don't mind being high up, but just am not as comfortable as I would like to be when seated in a hanging stand. Maybe it's an old age thing? :)

blinds or treestands ?

I don't enjoy either one, I prefer still hunting, no matter the terrain or the weather.

I've hunted in below zero weather, snow storms, rain, sleeting rain and every other type of weather. Uncomfortable? Sure, sometimes. I slipped off a log while crossing a creek when a grouse flushed near my feet and scared the bejeebers out of me. I've sweated my butt off while searching for Mule deer in the desert. I've also stood by a tree and watched two otters sliding down a small hill into a pond over and over or geese migrating South or turkeys still in the roost in the very early morning. And I wouldn't trade any of it for sitting in a tree stand or a blind.

It's the adventure and experience of being with nature in any of the forms it takes. Sometimes I'm successful in the harvest, other times I'm successful by experiencing the joy of simply being outdoors.

Really nothing better than a good tree stand in the right place. Scent up off the ground, movement somewhat distilled and a natural ambush point. After hunting almost 50 years I've learned when scouting a new place that if you run across an old dilapidated tree stand...you better build or place a stand close to the old one. powdr

The choice for me depends on the particular area being hunted. For LR rifle hunting the choice depends on a few factors:
-Greatest viewing area in which to spot the animal.
-Ability to achieve a stable shooting position in all likely directions.
-Ability to remain undetected by deers senses.

All things being equal, I would opt for the blind because of the easier access and exit in the dark, and less exposure to the wind and cold.
-

I would sit just about anywhere in anything if my scouting indicated there was a nice deer to shoot in the area.

with that being said, I really enjoy getting in a blind. where I hunt, they are tall and set up at good vantage points to watch over large fields. you can glass and range freely without being spotted, and set up the proper rest for a supported shot. Also, allows me to pack a lunch and stay all day. being there longer sometimes = more success and opportunities

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.