Blind mag vs hinged floorplate for serious hunting?

I prefer the detachable mag but also have floor plate rifles. Never owned a blind mag but have handled and unloaded a few over the years. Always made me nervous cycling the bolt, so I appreciate what @LongBomber said. I'll try his method next time!

I like both. I prefer them over mags. I just converted my bdl to adl cause I got a stock for a good price and it was the upgrade I needed for my midrange deer gun 308. I do have a little lean toward the adl because it was my first. I had been working and saving for years and by the time my 16 birthday money rolled in I had enough to purchase a 700 adl in 270 with the walnut stock. It still knocks them down today. If all of my guns that is still my favorite

Thanks

Buck

Plan on building another semi custom lighter weight Rem 700 build in 30/06 for a all purpose hunting rifle with a Boyd's laminate stock but I'm really stuck on if I should use an adl or hinged floorplate. I really like the simple design of the Barrett Fieldcraft rifles With a blind mag, this gun will be primarily used for spot an stalk/ treestand whitetail hunting in thick brush and fields in upstate ny winters, but who knows maybe a backcountry trip or too as well.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks....
I'll always go for blind box. Less noise. More stock strength. I usually fill the blind box with no cartridge in the chamber. Chamber one when you're ready to shoot. Remove a chambered round and download it into the blind box if you decide not to shoot. Anyone who can't safely unload a blind box shouldn't be handling a rifle. Few hinged floorplate users dump their cartridges out the floorplate in my experience. Practice safety and go with a blind box. It won't dump your cartridges at an unopportune time!!!

When I started hunting there were four or five choices as far as magazine choices. Blind, hinged, tube, clip (yes, clip or as is politically correct today, detachable magazine) and single shot (lack of magazine). I have all of these types in the gun safes and actually can say I prefer all of them. How you say..... well, it depends on the rifle I am using. I have accumulated rifles with all types of magazines and use them. It does not matter to me what the magazine is, I just enjoy using that particular rifle being used at the time. As far as preferences in order, it goes like this here- clip, blind, hinged, single shot and tube. I love clip guns. When I use a rifle with a hinged floor plate, I still and always will unload it like a blind magazine out of habit so the hinge really does not have an advantage to me.

I have both, and don't really have a preference. With my ADL I just close the bolt far enough to release the round from the magazine, then pull the bolt back and dump the round in my hand. I Do Not chamber the round.

To me, it is simple....

Lightweight as to priority - blind mag is usually best

Have to unload much - BDL or detachable mag

Smooth bottom rifle for hunting/rest/no snag - BDL

Easy to reload - detachable

Easy to add 1-3 after a string of fire - Blind or BDL

Fat cartridge that needs extended mag to hold 3 - Detachable

So, my Savage 12 uses AICS due to 300 WSM. For my 300 Sherman....BDL. If/When I build a a big 30, probably AICS.

I have both but prefer the blind mag.
In my case what affects my decision is whether the rifle is CRF or PF, where this comes into play is in the unloading, since the CRF does not require that the bolt handle be turned down there is absolutely no danger of accidental firing, with the PF rifles you never know !
I remember when Remington recalled the 700 rifles for safety mods to non bolt locking I was very disappointed since you are never sure if the safety is engaged, prior to this if the bolt handle was locked you knew the safety was engaged.
I hate the non handle locking safeties.
BB

Plan on building another semi custom lighter weight Rem 700 build in 30/06 for a all purpose hunting rifle with a Boyd's laminate stock but I'm really stuck on if I should use an adl or hinged floorplate. I really like the simple design of the Barrett Fieldcraft rifles With a blind mag, this gun will be primarily used for spot an stalk/ treestand whitetail hunting in thick brush and fields in upstate ny winters, but who knows maybe a back country trip or too as well.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks....
Although not one of your preferred options, I prefer detachable mag design. In extreme cold weather, where longer shots allow time, can keep rounds warm inside coat for better known muzzle velocity. Allows rapid changing bullet weights for variable opportunity applications with multiple tags, seasons. Prefer the convenience of unloading....and loading..... with frozen/gloved hands.....not dropping rounds in snow/water/mud... on unloading only chambered round to juggle. Maybe slight weight, cost, aesthetic (not with flush mag) penalties, but the function tops those considerations for me.

Hinged can be good and bad. One time my brother and I were hunting and his weatherby popped open without him realizing it. Rounds,follower, and spring all gone. Sad face and an expensive single shot. The model 70 is the best hinged design. Anything inside the trigger bow or as the weatherby a big button on the outside is not so good. The old mkv,s I drill and pin them so they can,t open. Might seem goofy but how about a fly in or africa? Oh #$^% moment

I've never had a hinged floor plate open unintentionally - ever.
On my Winchester 70 with hinged floor plate, I seldom to almost never open the floor plate to empty the magazine. And, I don't have to chamber the rounds to empty the mag, either. Slowly extracting the round from the chamber with the opening turned down drops that round in my hand, and then a nudge with the bolt pops the next round into my hand as well.

Hinged can be good and bad. One time my brother and I were hunting and his weatherby popped open without him realizing it. Rounds,follower, and spring all gone. Sad face and an expensive single shot. The model 70 is the best hinged design. Anything inside the trigger bow or as the weatherby a big button on the outside is not so good. The old mkv,s I drill and pin them so they can,t open. Might seem goofy but how about a fly in or africa? Oh #$^% moment
I would drill and tap for a small Allen set screw to secure the latch. Then a dab of Loctite. Carry the Allen wrench in my permit wallet, and a spare in the gun kit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.