Blaze Orange - dumb questions, please don't laugh

My outfitter the last time I was in CO had18" strips of blaze surveyor's tape tied to the bridles and stirrups of all the horses going in and out. He told us he had a chestnut horse shot out from under a hunter riding it the previous year. He also encouraged us to talk loudly while riding. There must be a lot of shoot anything big and moving hunters in CO.

I've been hunting in Colorado for 15 years. It's a big state, but lots of people love the outdoors here. I've had the same experiences as many others on this site- when we're hunting we run into hikers, bike riders, photographers etc and they all seemed shocked and surprised to see someone with a rifle or a shotgun in their woods. I wear as much orange as I can get. On a side note, I recently watched a nature show on tigers- and why they are orange. Turns out the prey they hunt, just like the prey we hunt, see orange as green due to the cells in their eyes. I wish I could remember the show, but it makes sense- those folks with color blindness seem to see reds and orange as green too.

People aren't real smart, I see lots of " walkers" during hunting season that don't wear orange ( they probally have no clue its hinting season) I had a walker come within 10 feet of me during turkey season ( no orange required during spring turkey season) before he about crapped his britches seeing a guy in full cammo with a shotgun just 10 feet from him --- he was admiring my decoys (he thought they were real) he had no clue it was hunting season

Why would anyone who is not a hunter even know about the blaze orange requirement? They have every right to be in the woods as well as we do. It is incumbent on hunters not to shoot until they are absolutely sure of the target. Anyone who does should be tried for manslaughter if you ask me.

There must be a lot of shoot anything big and moving hunters in CO.
It's a very popular state for out of state hunters. I've seen some of them that pay big bucks to come hunt, so they get trigger happy thinking "better believe I'm gonna kill an animal given how much I paid!" Certainly there are locals that are guilty too.

Why would anyone who is not a hunter even know about the blaze orange requirement? They have every right to be in the woods as well as we do. It is incumbent on hunters not to shoot until they are absolutely sure of the target. Anyone who does should be tried for manslaughter if you ask me.
Definitely it's the ultimate responsibility of the person holding the weapon to know if it's an animal or a human and I agree with the level of punishment. No one is denying that. But his/her point is solid. The people who are walking through the woods should be smart and understand their surroundings to make choices that will help keep themselves alive. If one chooses to conduct outdoor recreation in CO, they should understand when hunting seasons are. It's a top hunting destination in the country, so chance are high they will encounter hunters when in the woods during hunting season. I've had a similar experience where people riding horses came close to me during an archery elk hunt. I pulled behind a tree until they passed and they never saw me. Horses and elk aren't terrifically different in size or color (potentially) and for a brief second I thought it was an elk walking up the trail. I could see how a hunter who isn't disciplined in confirming what they are shooting could have whipped their gun up and shot.

We all have the right too be in woods when ever we want ,, no ones saying they cant ,,,,but its also incumbent on non hunters too be a little smarter than that ,, why is it that hunters are the ones left needing too know every single law at all times of the year,,, but yet even a simple one such as trespassing seems too go over looked by "hikers" that "just didn't know I couldn't cross that fence, or field" but yet if a hunter did it he'd be charged a fine because "they're hunters ... they should know **** it" .. if there is a non hunter who is out camping hiking etc. in fall time especially, in states like colorado, NM, Idaho, montana, wyoming, etc. where many towns literally have signs up saying welcome hunters .. in my opinion they should be wearing hunters orange .... is it law ? nope! but it should be for simple Safety reasons. I would and do!

For the hunters that live in states that don't require blaze orange and don't wear it. Think about how your hunting partner (your child maybe?) would feel about having to go home and tell the family that they had accidentally shot you because they didn't know you were in the line of fire. How would you feel about having to go home and do the same thing? Something to think about.

Orange is also so that Fish & Game can find you easily......that's why in Maryland they made a new law last year that property owners have to wear orange while hunting on their own property where no one else is suppose to be. Also anyone who is accompanying a hunter must also wear orange.

I am of the opinion that the animals see orange almost as well as humans. However, what is the least of your problems; an easy successful hunt or dead from some idiot? I always chaffed at the orange requierment, but not anymore. Too many dumb asses with guns out there.

For several years I hunted elk just north of Glenwood Springs. I too was surprised to see outfitters putting orange in the mane and tails of the horses. The game warden would stop at camp at least once every year and was very friendly and open to questions. One year we talked about the orange requirements and he simply said that a vest and hat easily met the requirements but they did not want any of it hidden . Many hunters who would wear a backpack had a orange vest wrapped around it to meet the requirement. If you were hunting inside of a blind, the blind needed to have orange on the outside of it too.
From what I have noticed being in the field, scent and or movement catch the eye of an animal quicker than color

In co, if you have a tag are in the field you have to wear orange at all times while hunting ( read that as having a firearm on you and a hunting tag- to appease the cpw) even when hunting other species during big game season.
Technically if you are just spotting with no firearm or do not have a hunting tag then you do not have to wear orange-- but be safe, wear it at all times because it's there to protect you from being shot by another hunter. Not everyone should be allowed to hunt. Some seasons overlap ( muzzle loader and archery)-- muzzle loaders must wear orange but archers don't have to, so be extra aware of your surroundings during these times.
People aren't real smart, I see lots of " walkers" during hunting season that don't wear orange ( they probally have no clue its hinting season) I had a walker come within 10 feet of me during turkey season ( no orange required during spring turkey season) before he about crapped his britches seeing a guy in full cammo with a shotgun just 10 feet from him --- he was admiring my decoys (he thought they were real) he had no clue it was hunting season

What I do is go to Walmart and get several of the lightweight cheapo mesh hunting orange vests(mesh is considered legal in CO) -- I wear one at all times when not in camp, and one goes over my pack too... if I get an animal, when I carry it out (especially with the head) I put another mesh vest on any visible parts of the animal that another hunter might see... also if I have to leave parts in the field whe packing out meat, I toss one on it too ( it kind of shows possession to keep other hunters away from my meat)

As far as hats, if it's hot, it's an orange ball cap-- cold, it's An orange beanie
Exactly what I do mesh is breathable I get the smallest one that does not limit my movement and always have one extra

Orange is also so that Fish & Game can find you easily......that's why in Maryland they made a new law last year that property owners have to wear orange while hunting on their own property where no one else is suppose to be. Also anyone who is accompanying a hunter must also wear orange.
We are still exempt from wearing orange on our own private property in Tennessee if you are the owner but if I have a guest on my property they must still wear orange

We are still exempt from wearing orange on our own private property in Tennessee if you are the owner but if I have a guest on my property they must still wear orange
Believe it or not no orange required in New York! Yes we still own guns and hunt!!! I haven't ever worn orange except in Colorado. Now that my boys are joining me afield I do wear an orange kromer and they wear orange as well. In Pa we're required to also. Sad I can trust my 7 year old not to train his rifle unless he is absolutely certain of his target species and backstop but I started wearing orange for his protection from other adults!

Attachments

• 76471BF5-56C8-44C9-B538-58202820585B.jpeg
    76471BF5-56C8-44C9-B538-58202820585B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
  • 6992BC3E-09D2-440B-8FA6-BD3FA352C351.jpeg
    6992BC3E-09D2-440B-8FA6-BD3FA352C351.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 122
  • 8DAE3F31-C853-4D24-B484-A4D53FB00AE1.jpeg
    8DAE3F31-C853-4D24-B484-A4D53FB00AE1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 117