blackhorn vs triple 7

Nice shooting Encore. Impressive group at that range. Last fall, with the 300 gr PT Gold, 110 grs. of BH 209, Black crush rib sabot and CCI 209 M primer I shot my best ever 3 shot 100 yd. group(.297 inches) out of my Knight Long Range Hunter. It's been glass bedded and the trigger is set at 2 lbs. I don't have access to a chronograph, but I suspect I'm about 1950 fps. at the muzzle. It's been impressive in the field as well. What load are you using to get 2,400 fps? You've been at this a lot longer than I have, but if you're getting fliers at 2400 fps, my first thought is that you have a sabot issue. There's no reason for that bullet to do that at higher speeds unless the sabot is failing. Be interesting to see what the folks at Harvester say.

Harvester is on my SPEED DIAL.

I spent weeks and I can't count how many different sabots they sent me, all free of course. They worked HARD, I mean they went above and beyond what I expected, trying to help.

The PT Gold bullet evidently looses stabilization when shot at 2,300fps and at long range. The best group I could get at just 200yds, was 6"+. They went completely south when trying them at 300yds. No matter what WE tried, I could not get them to group, so I completely gave up on them, which is kinda sad, as they're cheap to shoot.

I shoot an Ultimate Firearms Inc. BP Xpress, using 3 T7M pellets (180grs) and a 300gr bullet and sabot that UF Inc. sells, matched to the rifle. I love it!

I dont think the PT Gold is meant to be shot at centerfire speeds. They are an electro plated bullet, no thick jacket. They do awesome in my now brother in laws traditions striker and 110gr bh209. Well under 3" groups at 200 yards.

I dont think the PT Gold is meant to be shot at centerfire speeds. They are an electro plated bullet, no thick jacket. They do awesome in my now brother in laws traditions striker and 110gr bh209. Well under 3" groups at 200 yards.

I will give the folks at Harvester credit, they really wanted that bullet to shoot from my Ultimate pretty bad. Honestly, I don't believe I've ever had a company work that hard with a customer. I believe they sent me every single .50cal sabot they make and bullets. It just won't shoot them at the speed I want to send bullets. I would assume, had I backed down the charge it would have made the difference. Not willing to trade off the speed and accuracy of my current load, just to save a few bucks.

I will give the folks at Harvester credit, they really wanted that bullet to shoot from my Ultimate pretty bad. Honestly, I don't believe I've ever had a company work that hard with a customer. I believe they sent me every single .50cal sabot they make and bullets. It just won't shoot them at the speed I want to send bullets. I would assume, had I backed down the charge it would have made the difference. Not willing to trade off the speed and accuracy of my current load, just to save a few bucks.

I have nothing but excellent things to say about the staff at harvester

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.