blackhorn vs triple 7

ericmeverson

What is everyone making such a big deal over it for. Is it really that much better than triple 7. I had a cva optima pro in a 45 caliber and triple 7 shot fine 115 yrds and a 225 grain powerbelt equaled sub 1 inch groups. I'm not knocking it in fact I'd like to try it but what are the advantages to black horn vs triple 7. I shot 100 grains of triple 7 and 150 grain charges and no change of impact. Can some body give me the differences between the two and which one is better and why.

What is everyone making such a big deal over it for. Is it really that much better than triple 7. I had a cva optima pro in a 45 caliber and triple 7 shot fine 115 yrds and a 225 grain powerbelt equaled sub 1 inch groups. I'm not knocking it in fact I'd like to try it but what are the advantages to black horn vs triple 7. I shot 100 grains of triple 7 and 150 grain charges and no change of impact. Can some body give me the differences between the two and which one is better and why.

If you're satisfied with T7, then you should continue shooting it. IMO its much better than Pyro. If you like cleaning it, the crud ring doesn't bother you, then most will understand.

Is BH better than T7? THAT is going to depend on who you ask. BH is a very consistent propellant, actually its a smokeless propellant with additional additives, such as sulfur and potassium which help to classify it as a substitute. Its extremely consistent with pressures and velocity, very linear. It does not pressure spike like other substitutes including T7.
BH can be measured and shot by weight, where other substitutes should not. Western provides a conversion of volume to weight of .7 So if you want to shoot a 100gr VOLUME load and convert it to actual weight, 100(v) X .7= 70grs(w). It is more energetic than T7, which is why 120grs VOLUME (84grs weight) is a maximum load and NOT 150grs as with T7.
With most production rifles, there's virtually no swabbing of the bore required or needed between shots. Even up to 40 consecutive shots. BH cleans with just Hoppe's and you SHOULD NOT use any water based cleaners. Many just run a clean dry patch down the barrel first, then a patch with Hoppe's both sides, clean patches until they come out clean and lubricate.
Its the only propellant I'd shoot from my production rifles.

Read the entire web site here: Blackhorn 209

Thanks I wasn't knocking it cause I might give it a shot if it's that clean. Sounds like a great concept. When I get my cva I'm going to get the black horn breech plug with it

I can tell you, I like BH209 A LOT. I pre-meaure my loads so it's really no more hassle than the pellets and more flexible. The clean up is a big plus. I just run a hoppes moist patch down the bore, let it rest for 5 minutes, then hit it with a brush for a couple passes, another hoppes patch, both sides, and then dry patches until they come out clean. If I'm storing the gun for any length of time, I lube the barrel and that's it.

Two big things

1. Less powder for more FPS. 120 gr BH 209 is equal or better than 150 of 777

2. NO **** crud ring with 209 like 777. Can shoot 10-20 shots without cleaning easy.

Don't forget 209 is not hydroscopic either. Hands down I will never shoot 777 over 209 again. I made the switch 3 years ago and love it

T7 or Pyrodex pellets, rarely weigh the same out of the box, much less after handling. Pre weighted loads in a plastic loading tube are just as quick as loading pellets and are far more consistent. No longer do I have to reload evey day after I finish hunting and clean up is a snap.
Unlike the typical eastern shot of 80 to 90 yards, my normal shot in West Texas is 125 to 175 yds and I am much more comfortable taking that shot knowing that I can depend on shot to shot consistency.

T7 or Pyrodex pellets, rarely weigh the same out of the box, much less after handling. Pre weighted loads in a plastic loading tube are just as quick as loading pellets and are far more consistent. No longer do I have to reload evey day after I finish hunting and clean up is a snap.
Unlike the typical eastern shot of 80 to 90 yards, my normal shot in West Texas is 125 to 175 yds and I am much more comfortable taking that shot knowing that I can depend on shot to shot consistency.

Many of the eastern and mid-western states have hunters shooting out to 200yds and beyond, just an FYI. The last two whitetails I shot, one was at 191yds and the other 210yds, BH209 and a Barnes TMZ.

As for pellets and consistency, depends on the rifle and shooter..........:)

I never bothered trying 777 or anything but BH, but I know that I'm VERY comfortable with shots out to 175 using this powder and 260gr PT Golds. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the accuracy is better than I am. 2 1/2" groups at 450' with me flinching a bit (after 20 shots or so) and only using one bag. I suspect with a lead sled or similar, I could shrink that down to 1". I can only do that with a consistent load.

M

I never bothered trying 777 or anything but BH, but I know that I'm VERY comfortable with shots out to 175 using this powder and 260gr PT Golds. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the accuracy is better than I am. 2 1/2" groups at 450' with me flinching a bit (after 20 shots or so) and only using one bag. I suspect with a lead sled or similar, I could shrink that down to 1". I can only do that with a consistent load.

M

Take a look at the 300gr scorpion PT gold. has a much better bc and will be more accurate for you. At least that's what I found out through trial and error.

Out our way, we don't get a lot of long shots. I was just looking at the longest shot I've seen (but did not take because I was buck hunting) on the farm I hunt, and it was just over 150 yds. We're so hilly out this way, it's hard to go 200 yds without running into another hill. :/

Nice shooting Encore. Impressive group at that range. Last fall, with the 300 gr PT Gold, 110 grs. of BH 209, Black crush rib sabot and CCI 209 M primer I shot my best ever 3 shot 100 yd. group(.297 inches) out of my Knight Long Range Hunter. It's been glass bedded and the trigger is set at 2 lbs. I don't have access to a chronograph, but I suspect I'm about 1950 fps. at the muzzle. It's been impressive in the field as well. What load are you using to get 2,400 fps? You've been at this a lot longer than I have, but if you're getting fliers at 2400 fps, my first thought is that you have a sabot issue. There's no reason for that bullet to do that at higher speeds unless the sabot is failing. Be interesting to see what the folks at Harvester say.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.