Blackhorn 209

Varmint Hunter

I haven't been shooting a muzzleloader since 2010 which is when I purchased a few pounds of Blackhorn 209 powder. I'm getting reacquainted with the ol' smokepole and bought a new can of Blackhorn. However, I'd like to use the 3 cans of (10 year old) powder that I have. Is there any reason that I shouldn't? Can it be stored as long as smokeless?

The powder was kept in the original container and is stored in a climate controlled room.

Black powder dry in cannons found under water still fires...
Doubt you'll have problem...
Do you have the correct nipple and powder chamber....
Encore on here should be able to school you on black powder and Blackhorn.....

Interestingly enough, my rifle is an Encore 209x50. It's all scoped up for hunting. Shot a few whitetails with it but mostly just killed a lot of paper.
Thats what I run bh209 in. That combo with mmp .458 sabots and a barnes .458 300 grn tsx bullet shoots great in my encore.

Blackpowder will keep for 300 years and fire exactly the same as the day it was made. I tested a can of FFFg over a 15 year period and there was zero change in velocity. BH 209 is NOT like Black Powder. Western claims indefinite shelf life. It truly will go bang for many many years but if you measure velocity when it is new and the same load 3, 5 and 7 years later from that same can, it is not going to be the same. All of the times I have tried this, velocity decreases the older the powder gets. So long way of saying, go ahead and use the old powder but use new stuff for final sight in and hunting. You can easily check velocity on your stored powder versus your new stuff, unopened cans do not seem to show the velocity drop near as fast or pronounced as an open can. All in however, it is still far and away the best of the BP substitutes and does not drop velocity at anywhere near the rate that some of the others do in storage, American Pioneer being among the worst. It has a shelf life of maybe a year.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.