Blackhorn 209 volume to weight is not adding up for me

The older Lot numbers of BH209 were close to 120 vol = 84 weight

The newer lot numbers/new powder seem to be 120 vol = 90.5 - 92 weight

I have measured the old powder from 2017, to the 2019 and it has changed.
I suggest you check the volume on your powder to verify. We had to use 90.5 weight New powder, to stay on same target POI from the old powder.

How do you guys using the plastic vials get rid of the static charge? When using them there always seems to be a lot of powder sticking to the sides.

First post here. I may be mistaken but If my education in mineral processing has taught me anything, I would say that the variations between the volumetric measurements could very easily be changes in the bulk density by variations in the voids of the powder. And also the increments on volume based powder measures would have to have a set bulk density (assumption made by measure manufacture) which might not be the exact same for every powder.

First post here. I may be mistaken but If my education in mineral processing has taught me anything, I would say that the variations between the volumetric measurements could very easily be changes in the bulk density by variations in the voids of the powder. And also the increments on volume based powder measures would have to have a set bulk density (assumption made by measure manufacture) which might not be the exact same for every powder.

As I understand it, Western has worked pretty hard to try to make BH more consistent and it started with Lot 30. I also understand that since lot 30, there's been some change noticed. I've also heard rumor that the Western BH209 tubes that come pre-marked will be going through some changes.
There are some who shoot many thousands of rounds of BH each year and compete, that load by volume, consistently the same, and will say there's no difference in accuracy using it by weight. However.. LOL... I'm friends with the 3 time National Champion, who weighs his BH right down to the tenth of a grain. What he does do though, is that with any change in lot numbers, he verifies his velocity and adjusts his weight to the velocity his rifle likes the best. Maybe that's why he's a 3 time National Champion?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.