Blackhorn 209 new black powder

I've used the White Hots & couldn't see any difference in accuracy from using T7. I have some of the Black Mag powder. Going to try some of it at the range this week using the Barnes 285 BTs & whatever else I have on hand. IIRC, the plant blew up & I don't know if it's even available anymore. SP

I tried the small rifle primer conversion from prbullets.com with BH209, they fired, but I did experience several hang fires out of 25 rounds. As ar as BH209, with the 195 gr. dead center bullets, both my Knight Disc Elite & my Austin-Hallek luv the stuff. They shoot better groups with no smell, no swabbing, no fighting to load the 3rd, 4th or 50th round. Would never go back to T7. Definitly use the CCI magnum 209 primers with BH. My Knight disc gun has the primer conversion, so i don't have to use the red plastic caps. Ignition is very reliable, never had a hang fire.

jm2c

I tried the small rifle primer conversion from prbullets.com with BH209, they fired, but I did experience several hang fires out of 25 rounds. As ar as BH209, with the 195 gr. dead center bullets, both my Knight Disc Elite & my Austin-Hallek luv the stuff. They shoot better groups with no smell, no swabbing, no fighting to load the 3rd, 4th or 50th round. Would never go back to T7. Definitly use the CCI magnum 209 primers with BH. My Knight disc gun has the primer conversion, so i don't have to use the red plastic caps. Ignition is very reliable, never had a hang fire.

jm2c

I also use the Winchester W209s, extremely reliable and consistent. The main thing to look at is that you need to use a SHOTGUN 209, not a MUZZLELOADER 209.

Good luck.

i just found out about this blackhorn powder today. i shoot a muzzleloader that has a howa action and uses large rifle magnum primers. i wonder how that would work with this powder? i have been using 195 grains of magnum triple 7. the gun is rated for 250 grains. it is called the ultimate muzzleloader. it is built here in mich. cost about $1500 new. i have been shooting it for about 6 years. every combanation i shoot works well but there is always that flyer every 5 or 10 shots. we shoot it out to 400 yrds. my friend has one also and shot a deer in iowa 2 years ago at 350 yards. i love the gun and looking forward to trying this powder. has anyone tryed the fed. exspander sabots. i would like a sabot to do something besides just punching a small hole strait thru the deer. thanks any comments will be helpful.

Blackhorns charts only go up to 120 grain loads. Anything after that, you are a human guinea pig. I have a TC Omega that works best with two T7 pellets, T7 primer & 285 Barnes BT. I experimented with the BH powder & other than not having to do much cleaning at the range, I didn't see any advantage in using it for hunting especially at the price per shot. If you're bustin' deer at 350, I'd say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/files/pdf/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf

I have shot BH209 for a year now, and started experimenting with loads, bullets, and primers again. I got the Omega .50 shooting better than it ever has before. I'm now using 80 gr. (by volume) of BH209, the Hornady SST with the low drag (red) sabot, and the CCI shotgun 209 primers. The gun is now shooting into one ragged hole @ 100 yds., and about 1-1/8" @ 200 yds. Velocity on this load was chronyed @ 1560 fps with an extreme spread of 8 fps.

Why to shoot BH209? There is absolutely no cleaning between shots, the consistency is awesome (extreme velocity spread for 5 shots is ONLY 8 fps!), it cleans up extremely easy, and the price is ok. BH209 is a higher velocity per volume to Triple 7, so 120 gr. of BH209 is equivalent pressure-wise to 150 gr. of Triple 7, although the velocity is higher. Therefore, you also get more loads from the same mass weight of BH209 than Triple 7 (especially than the pellets). It is a bit more expensive than a 1 lb. container of Triple 7 FFG though, but the benefits are worth it. (You could also ask yourself the question of "Why buy a custom gun when you can just buy a factory model for cheaper lol?")

bowhunthard, That is some great accuracy. How about the knockdown power, bullet drop and wind deflection at the 200 yd mark? Heavy bullets lose that energy a lot quicker than the lightweight stuff and that's about 300 fps less than the 285 barnes I am shooting with two T7 pellets. For field use I prefer the pellets which are giving me only slightly less accuracy than your results. Good enough for deer out to 250 which is my personal limit. I'd say the cleanliness aspect only applies to range shooting as it can get dirty real fast with the T7 or Pyrodex. Hunting's usually a one shot deal, retrieve, and go home & clean the gun. It all comes down to what's good for paper isn't necessarily good for hunting but if it suits your requirements, and you're getting good clean kills at the distances you shoot, you've hit the bullseye. Good Luck this season! :) Smokepoler
p.s. love the NJ reference. I'm across the river in DE.

Smokepoler, at what range do you have your Omega zeroed, and how much does it drop at the noted 200 yards?

Leadhead, I have it zeroed at 100 yds. I have the Nikon Omega muzzleloader scope with the BDC crosshairs. Set at 9X, I use the third ring for 200 yds, which is not the way it is supposed to work. The BDC is designed to be used with three pellets and a 250 gr slug. It's been a few years since I set it up but nine inches low at 200 with a 100 yd zero comes to mind. Barnes puts in a ballistic chart with their sabot/bullet combination packages with different pellet and powder loads. That info would probably get you in the ball park for holdover figures. I've heard of some hunters who are using a straight duplex just hold the crosshairs at the deer's back (provided they are zeroed at 100) & that has worked well for them. In my Omega, I've found that T7 two pellets give 100 percent better accuracy regardless of the bullet/sabot weight. Another data point, one of my buds just purchased a T/C Omega and is having great accuracy with 2 T7 pellets, T7 primer and the T/C 250 gr. shockwave. With less than ten rounds through it, he is shooting 3 shot, cloverleaf groups at 100. Haven't been to the 200 yd. range yet to check for drop & aiming point but he's more of a close range guy. :) Me, I like the longer range stuff and the 285 gr boattail really hammers them. smokepoler

bowhunthard, That is some great accuracy. How about the knockdown power, bullet drop and wind deflection at the 200 yd mark? Heavy bullets lose that energy a lot quicker than the lightweight stuff and that's about 300 fps less than the 285 barnes I am shooting with two T7 pellets. For field use I prefer the pellets which are giving me only slightly less accuracy than your results. Good enough for deer out to 250 which is my personal limit. I'd say the cleanliness aspect only applies to range shooting as it can get dirty real fast with the T7 or Pyrodex. Hunting's usually a one shot deal, retrieve, and go home & clean the gun. It all comes down to what's good for paper isn't necessarily good for hunting but if it suits your requirements, and you're getting good clean kills at the distances you shoot, you've hit the bullseye. Good Luck this season! :) Smokepoler
p.s. love the NJ reference. I'm across the river in DE.

About 19" drop @ 200 yds., with a 2" deflection with a 5mph full value crosswind. 532 ft/lbs @ 300 yds. So plenty for what I need it to do lol :).

Last edited:
I just realized that I directed my question to smokepoler when it should have been bowhunthard.
You mention that you have 19" of drop at 200 yards. That seems a bit much; at what range are you zero'd?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.