Black Talon .357 Mag Cartridges

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Anyone remember when Winchester had the "Black Talon" 357 mag cartridges???
Then they were BANED stating that they were "Cop Killers" It is amazing that idiots came up with this. The Black Talon was a "HollowPoint" and expanded upon impacts. If you were wearing a protective vest the best bullet you want to hit by is an expanding bullet so the material in the vest absorbs the energy.
Right after the "Banning" of Winchester Black Talons-the developer of that bullet changed companies to "Remington". He then made the "Remington Gold Saber" bullet for 9mm & .45 calibers. The FBI, Secret Service, State Department and other Federal Agencies readily adopted the "Golden Saber" as their DUTY BULLET. Basically the same as the "Black Talon"., engineered by the same person. At first introduction there was two different "Golden Saber" Bullets made by Remington. One type for the Government and on for the public. Eventually the Golden Sabers (Bullets) all came to be one in the same. I know I have thousands of them in .45.
Just wanted to post a picture of the Black Talon and the price I paid. Now this box is several hundreds of $s. Been offered $200+ for them. I think I will keep the Talons!

Attachments

• Black Tallon.jpg
    Black Tallon.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Black Talon 357Mag.jpg
    Black Talon 357Mag.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 205
  • Gloden Saber 45.jpg
    Gloden Saber 45.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 200
Don't forget that Winchester rebranded them as "failsafe bullets" -- I still have about 15 of the original blk talon 9mmbullets that I bought for my glock 17l

Maybe all the ridiculous ideas about the evil black coating making them armor piercing is because they also marketed .300 win mag "black talon" ammo. And because of that evil coating the .300 win mag might, just might, penetrate level 1 or 2 body armor…of course it wouldn't even scratch the stuff with innocent old soft points 😝. Just a marketing gimmick, nothing that special about any of these but they do look cool…much the same as the ballistic silver tip line of hunting ammo…doesn't do anything that remarkable but dang it they do look fancy!

Ah, the marketing rebranding genius of Olin. SXT=Same Xact Thing. PDX1=Pretty Darned Exactly like the last 1
I remember the lawsuit in the early 90s being dismissed against Olin because the bullet performed exactly how it was supposed to. I guess they should have put a warning on the box…

Yep black talons came in a number of cartridges. I never heard they banned them because they were cop killers. Kevlar vests protected everything except rifle bullets and certain fmj type bullets. The reason I heard they banned them was because they were the design of the bullet that LE officers used. In addition left very destructive damage internally to stop offenders. The peddles on the bullets opened up causing extreme damage. There were some incidents that started law suits and even tho those law suits were dropped due to insufficient evidence, Olin stopped producing that bullet. They aren't any better than todays defense ammo. No worse in destruction either. All solids and monolithic bullets have peddles that open and cause much trauma and damage to internal organs hence the hollow point design for stopping power. Designed to do the most internal damage to stop an assailant.

I gave mine to my LGS which is owned by a buddy. Once they were condemned for their copper talons that cut flesh like a blender blade you would not want to use them for self defense. Lawyers and DAs would treat you like a homicidal maniac. The media would be all over it.

The department issued Ranger SXT ammo for awhile which may, or may not, be the exact same ammo in a new box sold for LE purposes. Either way, the Ranger ammo didn't carry the stigma of the infamous Black Talons.