Black tails on Kodiak

Ksduckhntr

i have the opportunity to hunt black tail deer on kodiak island this August. I have never done this type of hunt before and am starting my research. What types of distances am I looking at on a deer like this? What's it like hunting/hiking kodiak in August? Any tips or information regarding hunting these little deer will be very much appreciated.

My dad told me a very long, very funny story about his Kodiak island hunt in the 80s. He's from Idaho. Deer on kodiak are small and they weren't "shootin em offa tha beach" like was pitched by the buddy who had it all figured out. They were like little pixies darting about in the forest. 7 mags were a bit much. Story goes on

Lots of videos on youtube and you can pick up some good info there. Randy Newberg in particular is worth watching and he filmed a trip to that area. What I liked about his hunting area was no bears, lol. A trip like this is on my bucket list, from what I've read and info from talking to people is that early in the season the bucks will be in the high elevation areas where shots can be longer. Later in the season, Oct/Nov is when they will be found on the beaches. I read an article in MDF recently, the couple telling the story rented solar/battery electric fences, one for around their tent and the other for around the tree they were hanging their deer meat. I hope you have a blast!

If you are in a tent - believe the electric fences. Before deep snow they are often up high, after deep snow they are down low - often on the beach in Dec and Jan. Shots usually 20 yds to 200 yds. Bears are about one per square mile so usually hunt the demunitive deer with big bore rifles. In some areas bears indeed do seem to be attracted by rifle shots ... so don't waste time cleaning your deer.

I appreciate all the information. We will be there early in the season like 3rd week of August and staying in a forestry cabin. I was planning on taking a 6.5mm gun buy sounds like I need a bigger stick I read an article on Peterson hunting about on Kodiak seems like a high probably of encountering bears. I'm a flatlander so this will be new to me should I change my rifle thinking? Is a 280ai big enough or 7mmRM? Or just plain get a 30cal magnum? I know the deer aren't made of steel but in case of an unfriendly bear encounter what is appropriate?

Deer season closes the end of December on Kodiak, where I hunt.

If you have any options for timing on your hunt, August will be buggy and warmer than I prefer, however the days will be longer.

Hunt mid-October or later. I prefer mid-November. Take a brown bear rifle. They'll kill deer also.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.