black -T

mrbb

does any one here have any guns coated with Black/green T
or cerakote/ dura coat, and if so what do you think of it?

I haven't been too impressed with the durability of Duracoat, but it might vary based on how it is applied. No experience with ceracoat or black T, but have heard good things about them.

Black T is what Walter Birdsong applies. He developed the teflon coating and it sounds like he is the man. Problem is, he can turn work away. I've left a number of messages on his answering machine....after three months, I gave up. People who had him apply it can't speak highly enough about it.

Another company does teflon coating...heard some good feedback...BLACK ICE COATING if you want to google.

Hope this helps,

Wade

Thought of Kal-gard as an alternative?

Saw it on a pistol a few weeks back. Apparently any colour is possible. It also seems to be teflon based. It looked pretty good and from what the guy said he found it to be hardwearing.

Just a suggestion; if off the point a bit.

Last edited:
Check out falcongunfinishing.com jeff is a good guy and does a quality job.I had a rem 700 and a LAR grizzly pistol done in the falcon coat extreme and they turned out excellent and the finish is very tough and rust resistant

Walter finished my buddies 870 for duck hunting. While it is true he does use the gun for a boat paddle, the black T started flaking off even before he began any heavy use with the gun. Also, when his timney all steel replacement trigger was put back in the gun by Birdsong's folks it was done incorrectly. The result was the whole thing fell out in a blow up.

Falcon coat

FWIW.

When I worked for Nesika we used a guy in Montana who owns a company called Falcon Coat.
Never seemed to any complaints about it.

One thing that we did experience early on with Nesika products. Due to the tighter tolerances between the action bore and the bolt, we did have to loosen up the "Borden Bumps" just a smidge otherwise the stuff would make things a little tight and it'd cause accelerated wear.

The BEST stuff by far is a company called MMI down in San Diego area.

MMI uses vapor deposition. It's virtually the same process used on higher end tooling in manufacturing (endmills, etc) 96 HRC is the hardness.

We used it on all of our tactical rifles. Naval Special Warfare took a steel barrel coated with it and hung it off of a pier down in Coronado for a year. Not one surface inclusion from the salt water. No corrosion damage of any sorts.

Just had to scrape off the marine life that had taken up living quarters in/on the thing.

Pretty cool stuff.

Not sure if Nathan is still up and running. Rumor had it the company split and went to Europe to focus on the medical industry.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts