Black soot on cases head scratcher for me???

Here are some things you mght try, but first please let me point out that 3,000 psi air from a scuba valve will penetrate your skin and cause serious damage. 3,000 psi hydraulic fluid from a pinhole leak will inject the fluid into your bloodstream and can kill you quite dead. You have 60,000 plus hot gas getting past the only real seal - your case mouth, and getting all the way back to the bolt face. Rifle manufacturers have various venting schemes to mitigate this but it might escape by another path, such as back through your firing pin hole. For reference, if you get your finger next to a revolver's front cylinder it will probably get amputated.
Thus I wouldn't even dream of troubleshooting the problem by firing the weapon until the cause has been definitively established and rectified, even with storm-trooper armor on.
A few things that can be checked without firing the weapon, in my humble opinion:
First, have a look at the reamer. If the reamer somehow was chipped near the case mouth, it could have left a smaller diameter bore in the chamber there. That would keep the front of the neck from expanding, greatly increasing the pressure required to make the rest of the case neck seal. That would be very similar to what Hugnot experienced in post 10. Wear in that area would also make the chamber conical with similar results. A micrometer might tell you something if so.

Another thing that might be going on is somehow a groove or crevice is running from the case mouth area to the shoulder in the chamber. Even a very shallow groove would prevent the neck from sealing into the chamber along that line.
One cause might be that the reamer was stopped in the process of cutting the chamber. Imagine a cheap blade type pencil sharpener - you turn the pencil and it shaves off wood. If you suddenly stop turning it it will leave part of the wood uncut. Your reamer could do the same thing, and subsequent polishing would only hide the issue from view.
There are a lot of other ways this type of groove could be produced, some quite technical in nature. If your bbl is made from 416R stainless then it has sulfur added to make it more machinable. The sulfur creates weak spots that help break the chips whilst turning, rather than one continuous chip. Carbides or other non-metallic inclusions, porosity, laps and seams in the rolled metal could result in the same type of phenomenon.
So how to test for this?
One way would be to solvent clean the cases you already fired and very carefully check for longitudinal bulges, possibly with a dial indicator on a lathe. Another would be to make a chamber cast and measure it carefully, possibly with a dial indicator. A borescope might see something as well, though you might need to use dye penetrant to see a microscopic crack.
Thanks for the in depth response. As mentioned in original post, I'm pretty experienced on loading, shooting, and rifle parts/repairs however, novice in machining at best. I do have a bore scope and have examined the chamber, throat etc best I can. I do not see any obvious grooves. I have also checked cleaned cases with micrometer and have found no bulges in the fired cases, or any other obvious damage to brass. All is to length. I resized some cases bumping shoulder 2thousandths and refired with "safe" by quick load and known to me loads with the same sooting as new brass and annealed new brass. I also neck only sized some without moving the shoulder at all. Same thing continued to happen. This makes me think you are correct in that there is just something minor inside that isn't allowing shoulder to seal case neck. But I have decided to not fire it anymore until I can get smith to look it back over. Still just puzzled. Thank you for your in depth response!

My guess is that the spec length brass is being jammed into front of a non-spec chamber preventing normal neck expansion. My sooty cases were all .030 excessive length.

My guess is that the spec length brass is being jammed into front of a non-spec chamber preventing normal neck expansion. My sooty cases were all .030 excessive length.
Maybe. Would make sense to me though for it to be the other way since it is 30 thousandths longer than the other 2 rifles?? As in maybe chambered too deep? I know there's a lot that go into depth etc including tolerance of given barrel. However, just seems odd to me that with same barrel manufacturer, same contours, that this one is that much longer than other 2. The only thing different is the action 2 are LA remingtons. Mine is a LA Stiller Predator

So I just picked up a new 284 Win from smith and started working on loads today. This is the 3rd I've gotten from same smith and off same reamer for all 3 rifles. I gave my son my first one, my buddy built the other, and I built another to replace the one I gave my son which is rifle I'm talking on. All 3 are Bartlein #4 barrels same twist length etc. First 2 built on Remington LA and mine on Stiller Predator LA. I got the load on my first one, which is now my sons and it shoots ragged holes with ogive of 2.485 on Hornady comparator over 56.7g of N165. My buddy got his and it shoots same exact load other then his touching is 1 thousands shorter at 2.484 but, same powder charge shoots same ragged holes. Flash forward today and I started break in on barrel and cleaning with some extras from sons rifle. After I had shot cleaned etc, I started load development and noticed mine has an ogive of 2.520" to touch and with same powder charges I'm getting black soot down the entire length of case and caking of soot all the way down around the case head and extractor groove. Now when I've seen this before, it's typically been under charged load. However, max shows 57.0 gr of N165 on quick load and that's the upper upper echelon. The same 56.7 load shoots like a house on fire but, have soot all over the case and very dirty chamber after firing. I proceeded with caution just to see if it were an under charge and I can in fact get it to clean up at around 2-3 grains to even 4-5 grains over of MAX powder charges. I tried 4 different powders of N160, N165, H4350, and H4831sc. All were the same. Book or QL max would have soot everywhere and rifle shoots lights out. Jump up to dangerous charges, cleans it up but only shoot 1/2-3/4" groups at best. ES and SD fantastic on dirty loads and not good on higher charges when it cleans up. Im not terrible interested at running it on the brink of disaster charges to get it to shoot clean. I'm puzzled. Anyone have any idea? Biggest thing that has me is the ogive difference when the other 2 are **** near identical then mine is 35 thousandths longer. Could it be a head space issue? Im
Savy on loading and shooting but, novice on gunsmithing.
I had the same issue with a 257 bee. I found the problem to be that the bullet was jumping out of the case before the brass expanded I actually was crushing cases from the outside during firing. Scary stuff for me! The cure ended up being a good crimp to keep the bullet from jumping out before adequate powder ignition/pressure. Then no soot and no crushed cases.

I had the same issue with a 257 bee. I found the problem to be that the bullet was jumping out of the case before the brass expanded I actually was crushing cases from the outside during firing. Scary stuff for me! The cure ended up being a good crimp to keep the bullet from jumping out before adequate powder ignition/pressure. Then no soot and no crushed cases.
Just curious Traveling Tech - did your 257 Bee have a lot of freebore?- ie: was bullet tail essentially out of case before ogive engaged lands?

Just curious Traveling Tech - did your 257 Bee have a lot of freebore?- ie: was bullet tail essentially out of case before ogive engaged lands?
Yes. I think most weatherby chambers have like 3/8" of free bore. The bullet jumped out, lodged in the rifling, then the powder fully ignited, pressurized the chamber before the brass expanded and sealed. The brass crushed from the outside and then the bullet was forced down the bore. I bet I had some messed up pressure going on. I hope my experience helps. Rifle was a weatherby vanguard.

Annealing fixed my blowby to the shoulder. Never down the body of the brass though. I size for .003 neck tension, all necks turned with .004 clearance on the dia. of neck. Sounds like an early bullet release affecting the neck sealing. Just a guess though. Let us know what the Smith says.

I've shot new brass, fire formed brass with shoulder bumped 2 thousandths, fire formed brass just neck sized, annealed mag primers, etc. only thing that cleans it up is more powder. Its super accurate with know loads just soots. Crank the powder up, cleans it up, doesn't shoot as well. I don't think Bullet is leaving too early as the factory new has about 4K neck tension and I'm using a 2k bushing in sizer now. Makes a little sense in a free bore bee or wby but this is a 284 Winchester. Not exactly a hot rod. And, my bullets are just touching lands to start so don't have to move much to get them there. Im taking it back over tomorrow morning to Ck head space etc but I'm more on the lines of either a head space issue or, some damage from reamer in throat or chamber like mentioned before

Measure fired brass from both rifles. The chamber may be bigger on the new rifle. It's possible, if for some reason, the reamer wasn't pushed straight it could have made it cut oversize, especially near the base. If the chamber isn't concentric, the throat lead angle could be longer as well.

Sounds like a headspace problem to me. Let me explain why...
Same reamer, same barrel, but .030" greater CBTO. There are only a few options here.
You say that you size to -.002" but how do you know or measure this? I assume your benchmark is from reamer prints or experience with the two previous chambers. When fireforming cases it takes up to 3 firings of a case to approach "actual" dimensions +/- setback or rebound of the shoulder (datum line). If you continue to anneal it takes longer. A set of go/no-go gauges could lead you to an answer. You may be FF'ing to a greater headspace, essentially mimicking a wildcat chamber.
It's not at all uncommon for FF loads to shoot with excellent accuracy. Being able to add powder in this process is accounted for by the cushion of the brass expansion.

I'm going through the same thing right now with a 6 Creedmoor and a second lot of Berger 109s. The first ones shot great with no sign of leakage. The second lot is soot city. My leaky cases necks measure the same if only slightly bigger than a loaded case. My thought is the bullet is sliding out of the case too easily upon initial pressure and leaking pressure until the bullet hits the rifling slows or stops then builds pressure and seals up the leak. I'm getting good speed, 2977 FPS, and accuracy with no load development.

The second lot, older numerically, has a bit of a pressure ring and I believe it's enough to stretch the neck a bit more and allow the bullet to start moving easier/sooner. I FLS my annealed cases without expander and mandrel the necks to size. I use a turning mandrel, .241", set tension. I believe more neck tension is needed. I want to try a .240" mandrel to see if that will cause the billet to stay put longer and solve the leakage problem. 21st Century offers one but says all orders are at least 4 weeks before shipping thanks to COVID and the political climate. I don't want to wait that long for a test. I tried some DTACs wish have .098" longer BTO and are still in the neck when they hit the rifling and they don't have leakage. The original 109s I shot measure .243" and don't have issues, the new to me lot measures .2345" and cause issues. This is likely not being helped any by the long jump caused by the SAAMI spec .183" free bore

I've been in contact with Berger and they are befuddled as well. They think I'm onto something with the releasing too early theory, but as of now we can't prove it. They did say that they do not design in pressure rings to their bullets. It happens occasionally depending on many factors in the bullet making process.

Sounds like a headspace problem to me. Let me explain why...
Same reamer, same barrel, but .030" greater CBTO. There are only a few options here.
You say that you size to -.002" but how do you know or measure this? I assume your benchmark is from reamer prints or experience with the two previous chambers. When fireforming cases it takes up to 3 firings of a case to approach "actual" dimensions +/- setback or rebound of the shoulder (datum line). If you continue to anneal it takes longer. A set of go/no-go gauges could lead you to an answer. You may be FF'ing to a greater headspace, essentially mimicking a wildcat chamber.
It's not at all uncommon for FF loads to shoot with excellent accuracy. Being able to add powder in this process is accounted for by the cushion of the brass expansion.
I'm leaning toward the same as you.
When I referenced resizing, I'm referring to bumping the shoulder back 2 thousandths of an inch from a fired case. Ie measure the fired case from new rifle with E 500 comparator and set the die where it only moves shoulder back 2 thou. I then thought well, maybe it is essentially a "unintentional" wildcat chamber so I resized to neck only in hopes this would "seal" faster. No change. The bullet theories above by going to bigger bullet I have not tried but, don't really want to move to a 180 grain in it as the 168's shoot in both other rifles very very well. Even with this rifle, the 168's I'm able to keep .281 of bearing surface inside the neck to touch the lands. Which puts it near the shoulder junction at the bottom of the bullet. I'm not sure how going up 12 grains in Bullet could or would help. I'm going by in morning to check headspace. Maybe that's it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.