black hills match vs. black hills gold

ker2222

I have long been a fan of black hills match ammo--shooting it in both 223 and 308.

I would like to try out their hunting ammo sold under the name Black Hills Gold Ammo. What should I expect in accuracy differences between a 308 match round versus a 308 gold round??

I shoot BH match 168's out of my .308. I bought some of the BH Gold 165's with the Nosler Ballistic tip. They still group tight, (around 1MOA and I'm just under 1 MOA with the match grade) but track differently on my scope's bullet drop cams (Leupold M3 LR).

I have to adjust 2moa left and 1 moa up when I shoot those bullets. That's pretty manageable though. I haven't shot them over about 300 yards though. I saw that they also sell a 168 grain Barnes bullet. I haven't tried them yet but plan to in order to see if they track just like the match grade so I don't have to adjust my scope .

If I get a chance at a long shot 400yds or more I'll probably pop a match grade round in the chamber. It should be slowing down enough by then to not over penetrate. I shot a deer with a match grade bullet last year at about 70 yds and it went right through the deer, blew about 1/2 its lung out and the deer still ran about 500 yards.

Quick update. I nailed a whitetail yesterday with a round of Black Hills Gold ammo (165 gr.). They use the Nosler B-tip. Great bullet for deer. It was about 190 yards, (wish it could have been further but you guys know how it goes), and I sent a round through the heart lungs area and it dropped hard right on the spot. It was a medium sized buck. It left an exit hole of about 1 inch, unlike the match grade that leaves a huge exit hole. I'm wondering if maybe just a piece of it broke off and exited. Anyway, the way it dropped when I hit it, I didn't expect to see an exit hole.

Good round for deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts