black hills ammo

backwoodsboy

Wondering if anyone had used or liked the black hills ammo for just a fun day on the range or out with freinds.... how do they shoot ill be using the .223

I shoot the 60gr V-MAX ammo in my RRA Predator Pursuit AR-15, and both the newly manufactured and re-manufactured rounds will consistently put 5 shots in less than 3/4" at 100 yards. In my Kimber 84M Pro Varmint, they don't shoot quite as well, but still under 1" and good enough for coyote hunting. I normally reload for all my rifles, but in this case, I've bought close to 1500 rounds. The 55gr soft point load just won't shoot at all in either rifle (2" - 4" groups at 100 yds.). gun)

I get about 1 MOA average accuracy out of my Bushy Predator with some of the Black Hills stuff. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Some loads are better shooters than others.

If you're just plinking around, I'd recommend getting the cheapest loads, ie... Remanufactured or Factory Reloads. UltraMax is a really affordable brand where I live. Black Hills Remanufactured is reasonable too. I know people who've had problems with the Wolf "coated" steel cases in their AR's, but it's pretty affordable stuff. Cabela's Bulk Ammo would maybe be another way to go.

Have fun!!

The blue box, 60gr V-max, shoots great thru my 1-9 AR-15. Usually 3/4" or less. That's with a 16" bull bbl. I buy it, when I can find it.

gun)I know all ammo has gone up, but black hills ammo has always been higher than other brands. Go take a look at black hills prices, its almost twice the price of comparable ammunition by other makers. Does black hills ammo have some mystical quality that makes it perform better than federal? does black hills ammo come with a playboy model to load magazines for you while shooting? why is it so much more expensive?

gun)I know all ammo has gone up, but black hills ammo has always been higher than other brands. Go take a look at black hills prices, its almost twice the price of comparable ammunition by other makers. Does black hills ammo have some mystical quality that makes it perform better than federal? does black hills ammo come with a playboy model to load magazines for you while shooting? why is it so much more expensive?

Check out the rounds per box. I think you'll find that Black Hills has 50 rounds per box (in .223 for certain), whereas other manufacturers only have 20 rounds in a box. Black Hills is usually lower cost than the other manufacturers on a per round basis, especially when you buy their re-manufactured (blue box) ammo.

RLS

Red boxes are newly manufactured (new brass) and black boxes are Black Hills Gold, their premium line of newly manufactured ammunition. More details are available on their web site here.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts