Black Hills 5X5

kraigwy

Don't know if it fits since 150 yards is not considered "Long Range Hunting" but here it is.

Being old and lazy I use horses for Elk Hunting. Only problem, this year I hunted a section of the Black Hills that is only 34 miles (as the crow flys) from the house.

I only took my Belgium, leaving wife's paint home. These suckers are quite attached to each other so the Belgium gets lonely and on openning morning desides to try and go home.

So I spend the first three days of elk season hunting horse instead of elk. Finely find the idiot where he came to fences on the SD border he cant get through. He was kind of wore out so I deside to give him the day off and hunt on foot.

After a full day of working my butt off I start back to camp about sunset and find this sucker about 300 yards from my trailer. I was able to get the truck to it and drag it to camp.

Not real heavy but a nice balanced 5 X 5. If I waited until next year he would have been a 5 X 6 as he had a sixth nobby foruming on one side. Game and fish says its a 5X6 as its a point anytime you can hang ring on the point. You can but I still say its a 5X5.

Anyway elk hunting is done for this season, my horsey is back with his buddy and all is well.

I normally take a back up rifle Elk hunting (Model 70 Featherweight in 270 and Model 70 375 H&H). I happened to have the 375 when I saw this guy, a bit over kill with 250 Grn Sierrra Game Kings but I when I'm hunting late in the evening I don't want to track elk in the dark. Not likely with a 375 H&H.

Elk%201.JPG

pete%20again.JPG

Nice bull! Glad to see the cat's haven't got all the elk from the hills. Like your pony too, looks like he's pushing about 1800lbs.

CONGRATS!! Nothing wrong with having them in your lap every once in awhile!! Great looking horse.

A .375 and a Belgium. You don't lean much on being undersized do you:)
Congrats - the black hills sure have done an evolution on the game since I went to college there in the early 70's. only elk were in Custer park then and if you said there was mountain lion in the hills everyone knew you hadn't recuperated from the last frat party you went to at Tech.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.