Black Foot Ferrets

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Hello All
I know that this is a LRH forum and we all have some input on all animals. I had a Horse farm when I was in my 20s and raised everything from chickens, peacocks, turkeys, quail, goats, hogs, steers, and also had some cats and trained bird dogs (English pointers, setters, golden retrievers, Brittneys) and yes plenty of horses.
One pet besides the dogs and cats were "Ferrets". When domesticated they are like between a dog and cat. They would run free in the house, use a litter box like a cat and like to "Steel " things and hide in hidden places. we had a big male that loved water and would jump in the shower when he heard the water running. If it was raining outside he would be at the door. He would go to the horse barn and stay for, sometimes, days hunting rats and mice and then always return home. His name was "Stinky' due to the fact that males have scent glands and Ferrets are part of the skunk/weasel family, but no they don't smell like skunks. Females don't smell, but males have a particular odor-not bad. We had a Golden Retriever and the Ferrets would jump off of the couch onto the retrievers back and ride him like he was a horse. They played together all the time and were best friends. Really interesting animals.
In Europe they would use Ferrets to go into rabbit holes and chase the rabbits out-unless they caught a rabbit, then they would stay in the hole consuming the rabbit.
I know that there are "Black Foot Ferrets" in the West mainly SD, Montana, Wyoming. Anyone in these States have any experience with these Mystical animals???
I live in Georgia and they are supposedly banned as pets.
I was just sitting here thinking about years gone by and memorable moments about hunting trips and all our pets.
Would like to know if anyone has experience with North America Black Foot Ferrets? Or any other Ferret species? I know that they may be hunted like varmints and in most States they are Protected because they are shrinking in numbers. Anyone ever have for pets???
Thanks
Len & Jill

Anyone ever have for pets???
I just bought one yesterday for my 8 year old daughter (kinda for me, too 😉). First time actually owning one….I used to take care of one when I worked at a boarding & training kennel in my younger days.
We named this one "Stella"…..she's still quite young (spayed, first-round shots, etc) and we're using a dog cage as a temporary 'home' until the multi-level cage we ordered from Amazon shows up. This is going to be an interesting experience…😉

38CE2156-0B7D-43B1-98E4-8B0162F29E7C.jpeg346512B6-C180-427A-ABF3-B9B48F2C3DDF.jpeg8B81390A-6600-459E-B44D-047A5F172C25.jpeg35F9A0B5-F8F6-46C4-AC29-AA529614B04A.jpeg

My youngest daughter wants ferrets when we return stateside (amongst every other animal) and I fully intend to get her a pair. I had a friend that had a pair and they constantly stole all of his silverware to the point he had to put a baby latch on the drawer. Eventually it was all located in an air conditioning duct..😁😆

The black footed ferrets are extremely endangered, and the only native species we have in the states. I have seen some interesting videos on social media (DFW or AZGFD) about captive breeding programs where they are kept wild and then introduced back into their natural habitat. I am guessing the average hunter probably hasn't come across one. I've seen a least weasel and a pine martin trying to catch a mountain quail but that about as close as I have ever come for that family.

I live in one of the two ridiculous states that banned ferrets as pets, because like hedge hogs or sugar gliders, somehow they are going to escape and damage the agriculture industry worse than Nancy Pelosi's price on an acre foot of water. I remember seeing them as a kid when people still had them, but now its a misdemeanor. Completely ridiculous.

Smart and crazy critters, seem like they make great pets.

I remember when I was very young dad's grandfather had a pair of ferrets. And yeah the old man used them for rabbit hunting. I'm sure it wasn't legal but he ate lots of rabbits