Black Bear self defense handgun/rifle

Thanks everyone so much for your contributions.

So far it sounds like the 12 gauge slug/44 mag combination is the best, no?

I do not own a shotgun, was wondering if there were any suggestions on models for this.

I also do not own a 44 mag, would be interested in models on that also for this particular case. I don't care whether it is a revolver or not, and I don't know if there are wide differences in recoil.

Also, I was thinking of starting another thread but maybe just here is fine, I am planning on doing some Alaska trips in the next few years, and it makes sense to get one rig for both spots.

What is the deal with a 45/70? I've looked up the energy specs on those and they underperform your 300 mags and stuff. I was researching that as a possible purchase for this but it seems to be less powerful than other options.

And I suppose a 357 mag or 357 sig would be out of the question for an AK grizzly?

Thanks.

30-30 would work, 223 would not. Atleast not very well. your asking the question as if you are looking to make a purchase for this purpose. If that is the case, a 12 guage shotgun is the best bet. If its a sidearm, i would get a 44 magnum. Bears are hard to kill fast and I have carried a 40 and a 45 while bowhunting before but honestly they are far underpowered. Usually I carry a 44 mag, or 500 S&W depening on where i am etc.

It is probably doubtful you will ever encounter a problem, but if you do i agree that you should be prepared. also, follow up shots are not a problem with a 44 mag that has any wieght to it. i have shot the ultra lights and they can be a handful.

good luck.
Not to beat a dead horse, but the concept with the mini 14 was to be able to put 15 shots in him quickly. I don't know if this would make a difference or not.

I really doubt you would have time to put 15 rounds into a problem bear before the bear was a REAL problem!! A bear makes a bad target comeing at you as the bullets tend to slide off thier head or have to go through a lot of bear to hit anything vitel.
A big heavy slug tends to help both problems!

I really doubt you would have time to put 15 rounds into a problem bear before the bear was a REAL problem!! A bear makes a bad target comeing at you as the bullets tend to slide off thier head or have to go through a lot of bear to hit anything vitel.
A big heavy slug tends to help both problems!
Ok, I'm sold.

I guide up here in the great state of Alaska and if you are planing on doing some hunting up here I would suggest going with the 44 mag they are easy to cary around as a second weapon and they are also a good primary gun for protection too. If you do a lot of camping and stay in tents much a 44 is a lot easier to employ if you are in a sleeping bag. I always make sure that mine is right by my head so all I have to do is reach one hand out in the dark and I am ready to fight if I need to.. Personally I like a double action I would hate to be fumbling around getting the hammer back to shoot at a charging bear I like the point and click method. I shoot the Ruger super redhawk I have a 7 inch barrel on mine it is a bit long and a wee bit heavy but it is a lot less punishing on the wrist. The ultra lites are nice to cary but two of the people I know that have them also have problems with reliability. Also a stainless gun is the only way to go if you plan on coming up here, I own one blued rifle and I spend as much time scrubing rust off of it as I do shooting it..
Hope this helps

The 45-70 is a proven ctg.Like the 45 colt.Loded up with the rite bullets they have been killing big game around the world since they were born.I would never feel under gunned with eather one with the rite loads.both have a very good,proven, track record.They may not have the wiz bang speeds and popular follings that these newer ctgs.have,but they are still doing the job and doing it well.I would feel safe with eather,anywhere in the world.Big heavy slugs kill and kill quick,crushing through heavy bone and hide and keep on going.whatever you decide,see if you can borrow one and try it out first .pan.

The 45-70 is a proven ctg.Like the 45 colt.Loded up with the rite bullets they have been killing big game around the world since they were born.I would never feel under gunned with eather one with the rite loads.both have a very good,proven, track record.They may not have the wiz bang speeds and popular follings that these newer ctgs.have,but they are still doing the job and doing it well.I would feel safe with eather,anywhere in the world.Big heavy slugs kill and kill quick,crushing through heavy bone and hide and keep on going.whatever you decide,see if you can borrow one and try it out first .pan.
I am very sympathetic to this point of view. My problem is that when I look up the ballistics on the older guns they are usually significantly lower. I don't know enough about this stuff yet to know if there are other factors, but am trying to learn.

Had a relative of a friend near Juneau recently get no warning charged by an old boar griz when he was out walking his dog. He carried a .454 Casull and got off a couple of shots and killed the boar. I believe it squared at nearly 10 ft. but was very skinny. Old with bad teeth. Probalby wouldn't make it through the winter and was looking for anything easy to kill. I think I'd tend towards one of these very powerful handguns (S&W .500 or such as well) and learn to shoot it accurately and quickly (train alot) as an easy to carry/get into action last resort protection in AK. Just me.

A dog can be either good or bad it depends on the dog some will actualy chalange a bear while some tuck tail and run, and that can be a bad thing because if a dog is being chased it is most likley going to run to you for protection bringing along the bear with it..
I have a begal and she wont make a sound when a bear is around but my wife has an american pit that has ran bears out of our yard..
I like to bring the dogs with me if I am camping or hiking but not hunting their nose and ears are a lot better than mine and if you learn what their reactions are when a bear is close that at least lets you know to be on the lookout..
I also work in the oilfield in the winter months and most of the remote places we work have dogs for just the purpose of letting you know a bear is in camp.
I seen the skull and know the guy that shot the bear that jmden is talking about it was just a few miles from my house he also had a dog with him and when he got charged the dog took off and went home I believe it was a german shepard.

Like jmden says a big hand gun is good but if it is so big and punishing that you dont want to practice with it and are not proficient with it how good is it really going to be to you the S&W 500 is a pistol big enough th stop a train but is evil to shoot thats why I prefer the 44 I like shooting that and even the 454 is a great gun both of these being a good compromise between good bone crushing power and not being to punishing on the recoil.

Tony, thanks for the info. I think I need to try out the 454 and 50, have never shot them. I have shot a 44 mag but it has been ages. Will find some rentals locally.

The Ruger Redhawk in stainless looks beautiful, was thinking Desert Eagle, will have to comparison shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.