Black Bear hunting!

matt_3479

I did a Black bear hunt last September and will probably be doing another one this year if we dont draw a tag for moose. Last year we used Donuts and bagels as bait and i guess it worked but not like how we wanted it too. I want to know tips on black bear hunting as for last year was my first time and if we go again this year i would like to be a little more prepared. Bait? distances?anything and everything

Variety is the key, try what you used as a base add oil of anise, rotting fish,cabbage or other greens or rotting vegetables covered in syrup. Hang rags soaked with strawberry extract around the bait station at 50,75,100 and 150 yd distances.Bait does good in 50 gal drum chained to a tree at the distance you desire to shoot.

bait pic.jpg - Windows Live
we baited bear last fall had several hitting it
my daughter ended up taking a cimmon one.
we used mostly dry dog food, apples and peaches grean apples where better than the we used grease form a resturant but put it around the bait one the treees and the ground(so they would walk in it and track it off leaving a sent trail)
I found they would not eat the dog food covered with the grease untill everyhting else was gone. also tried applesauce, peanut butter, maple syrup
the syrup wasa big hit not so much with the peanut butter.
also used the bear bomb things the bears would eat the cans if i left them.
i would prop sticks up over the bait after re stocking it so I could tell if something hadn hit it froma long distance off.
I also hung that orange trail tape above it in a couple of places to help with judging the wind.

In Oregon its illegal to use bait....but not scent! We only try this on spring bear, but if you get up on a high ridge with a propane soldering torch (blue bottle with a soldering flame tip) and crack it open it has a strong garlic stench to it. the scent carries quite a ways.
I have a buddy that has been known to pack a small burner, and a package of bacon. He'll set up on a ridge and cook lunch on some tin foil and feed it to himself and his cowdog. Alowing ample time for the scent to travel before he packs up and leaves. He's coaxed more than one hungry bruin out into the open that way.
Calling is sometimes effective too, but Ive found it doesnt have the reach that scent does.
I havent had the pleasure of being able to judge a bear next to a drum with his hand in the cookie jar, but it looks like it would be an effective tool in determining a yea/nea vote before trigger time. Someday when my knees are shot, and my eyesight is gone, and I cant walk anymore I will give it a try....:rolleyes:Im just playin'.
I wish we had it so easy here. It would greatly increase the opportunity to put meat in the freezer in a timely manner so we could spend more time hunting deer and elk. You guys have it made.

Same here winmag, I'm in Washington. Them liberals outlawed bating and hounds about 14 years ago. When near California, do as California I suppose.

We wait 'till huckelberries are ripe, find a nice perch and wait. They usually don't spend much time in the open when daybreak hits, so it's real early and often for not very long. Unless the weather is foul, then it can be totally random.
Two years ago I shot a bear at 100yds in a huckelberry patch. I should have judged him better as he was only about 100lbs. Big or round ears, small bear. Small and/or sharp pointed ears, bigger bear.

Well i handed my moose tag into the draw a few weeks back and i know our party has a pretty good chance at at least one tag and possibly more. I honestly cant wait even though im months a head of myself. I went out and bought a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm, im trying to work up some loads right now, im saving for a good scope. I have a Bushnell something on it right now and im looking at a Nikon, or Leupold. I would want a Zeiss but cant afford it. I just cant wait

Well i handed my moose tag into the draw a few weeks back and i know our party has a pretty good chance at at least one tag and possibly more. I honestly cant wait even though im months a head of myself. I went out and bought a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm, im trying to work up some loads right now, im saving for a good scope. I have a Bushnell something on it right now and im looking at a Nikon, or Leupold. I would want a Zeiss but cant afford it. I just cant wait

I have some beautiful 180 gr loads for the Browning 300 WSM. Let me know if you would like me to share them with you.

Bear is my favourite critter to hunt.Took my 20th to date this spring. I have tried a pile of baits from the crazy to the simple.Simple is best. Fresh not rotten beavers or pork fat to get a bait started(First baiting) once it is active rolled barley with molasses for the rest of the season. You can get your local feed store to mix this up. Just make it extra sweet.Simple, no smell, maggots or dirty truck boxes,lol.:DI posted my bear hunt from this spring on here and it was all about the rolled barley on this hunt.:)

Bear is my favourite critter to hunt.Took my 20th to date this spring. I have tried a pile of baits from the crazy to the simple.Simple is best. Fresh not rotten beavers or pork fat to get a bait started(First baiting) once it is active rolled barley with molasses for the rest of the season. You can get your local feed store to mix this up. Just make it extra sweet.Simple, no smell, maggots or dirty truck boxes,lol.:DI posted my bear hunt from this spring on here and it was all about the rolled barley on this hunt.:)

I have heard that the beaver because of his already bad sent is hard to beat by some of the
guys I know as long as baiting is legal.

Carry some granola bars with you for bear deserts. (I know first hand that they will attract
bears).

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I heard of using some fish oil to spread around the bait stand. The intent is that as the critters come and check out and feed they get the oil on their paws and track it around and hopefully will lead in other bears. I haven't tried it but it would be worth a shot.

yup.... pour KFC fryer grease on the ground or over the bait and let it soak around...

bears love it and carry the scent away. trail back to bait for other bears.

It works !

Where legal marshmellos. I have not seen a bear pass these up.
If you cannot bait things to look for in the fall. We hunt blackberries and blue berries in Sept. Then the beech ridges that are near those blackberry patches. Starting up high. This is the most common tactics for the guys that don't run dogs here in Vt NH and Me. Like deer most feed low and bed high take the time to find the food and you will find the tracks of your quarry. Once you locate a decent track look take a topo and a drafting compass make 5 circles that span 1.5 miles on the map's scale with one being the center at the track's location, then eastern edge western edge northern and southern. If you can find the bears track in another area of the circles. Or better follow it you have a great chance of figuring out ambush/choke points in those areas of your topo.
This will go along way for both prevailing winds for that area and when you have a pressure change causing wind direction change. If it's a dominant bear it will have the best security wise area in those circles a lesser bear or female will have the fringe areas of the best area in order of dominance

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.