Birthday buck!

Calvin45

Hey all, got it done! Wasn't even gonna go hunting this year, just busy, but my wonderful wife all but ordered me to buy a tag and go hunting on my birthday (today). I got a small buck (yes, despite all the inspiring photos in hunting magazines there's also SMALL bucks in Saskatchewan :) ). Took the first thing I saw, i knew that this was my only day to go out probably. A happy birthday indeed.

one of the better shots I've made in a while, not crazy far but I had no rest, hit exactly where I meant to from somewhere between 300 and 350 yards shooting from standing, offhand. To me that feels like much more of an accomplishment than shooting 600 from prone with a rest.

Dropped it where it stood. Got a much needed workout dragging it through the snow by myself. Again, not much for antlers but a full bodied animal for sure. Should be tasty.

savage 111 long range hunter, 300 win mag. 225 eld m on 79 grains 8133. Single feed. Perfect performance on a beautiful day. Thankful my family owns land here in "middle of nowhere" Saskatchewan. I'm a fortunate hunter indeed.

will try posting some photos, phone is being dumb at the moment.

1606254699601.jpeg

Well, he may not have the biggest rack, but he is far from small! That guy will make you break a sweat dragging him! Beautiful deer! Happy B-Day!

I'm going to create another thread here showing the biggest whitetail taken from Saskatchewan (Canadian province I live in) so far in 2020. I'll share the pic here as well, courtesy of Big Game Illustrated. I had been drooling over this picture earlier. It makes all the deer most of us will ever shoot small...the world record typical whitetail is also from Saskatchewan. They're as big here as they get anywhere and mine is indeed a small buck in my area haha. Enjoy the photo. May it haunt our hunting dreams.
1606272812986.png

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.