Bird dogs

Christmas quail over my little girl.
F22274DB-11E5-4536-A4FD-9962A2607771.jpeg

We have two Pudelpointers and one German Shorthaired Pointer. 2 of them are Prize 3 UT dogs and Prize 1 NA. The other is a Prize 2 NA dog. Definitely a big fan of the NAVHDA training and testing.
I always have a soft spot for bird dogs. When I was stationed in Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, in the early 1990s, I got my choices down to ...

1. GSP
2. Viszla
3. Weimaraner

... unfortunately, it never happened. I want to re-visit this someday. :)

I always have a soft spot for bird dogs. When I was stationed in Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, in the early 1990s, I got my choices down to ...

1. GSP
2. Viszla
3. Weimaraner

I recommend it. Hunting with a dog you have trained is very rewarding. Unfortunately our dogs have not been hunted much the last couple of years with small kids and getting more into big game hunting.
I did get a new o/u yesterday though so I might have to prioritize bird hunting next year, and maybe try to sneak off for a hunt this year yet.

1. GSP
2. Viszla
3. Weimaraner

I am good friends with a GSP breeder here in Helena and a Viszla breeder. My friend that raises viszlas lives right across from Sleeping Buffalo hot springs past Malta. She's also a NAVHDA judge and one hell of a trainer. I sent my girl 'The Black Pearl' off with her for finishing. The force is strong with that one. She's got a strong DK background..

qisF4dy.jpg

8581C629-49E0-49AA-B0C3-01C3D6E6E719.jpeg

I used to use Labs all the time and most of the family exclusively uses labs. After my last one died mid season a few years back I started to use my work dogs. Was always told not to do that but they are smart enough to know what we are hunting even though if they cut a coyote track while pheasant or sharp tail hunting they know that's their money maker. I have pictured Beau my 4 year old Mountain Cur. His dad is retired at 13. Beau is a fantastic worker. Great decoy, brush dog but a hell of a pheasant, grouse, and porky pine dog as well. You may be wondering why porky pine? Well he has been smart enough through the years to find them and bay them up with out getting into them. He will find them and keep his distance making sure to show me where they are at. Almost like hey, come look at this. He has saved many a Labrador a prickly fate out in the field and around our old cabin. We as a family out here have taken many giveaway dogs and trained them for pheasant hunting. Dont get me wrong a good bird dog is hard to beat, but with the right time and training other dogs can be great as well.

I am good friends with a GSP breeder here in Helena and a Viszla breeder. My friend that raises viszlas lives right across from Sleeping Buffalo hot springs past Malta. She's also a NAVHDA judge and one hell of a trainer. I sent my girl 'The Black Pearl' off with her for finishing. The force is strong with that one. She's got a strong DK background..

qisF4dy.jpg
Awesome, thanks!

1. GSP
2. Viszla
3. Weimaraner

qisF4dy.jpg