Bird dogs

I used to hunt english springers and they were incredible. I bought a english cocker spaniel from a top breeder in Georgia, and it never hunted, biggest disappointment ever. But he's a great dog that we will love regardless.
Always liked how hard the cockers hunted.

Good luck with that knee. Make sure you do all of your physical therapy.
Finished PT yesterday and went straight out and bought an exercise bike to keep up with it. Did 15 miles today pain free.
Hope mine hunts .will be my first hunting dog. So excited. I mainly dove hunt but possible start doing more .maybe one-day get a pheasant never even seen a wild one.
Maybe cheesy but my first gun was red Ryder so I think his name will be Ryder
Ryder is a cool name.

Guys thank you for posting your comments and mostly those pictures. My father and I had a hunting lab together and we really enjoyed watching her work but more importantly our time in the field together. We lost my father about 12 years ago and my football coaching has kept me busy in the fall. It's time for me to get back in the hills and grasslands chasing birds and creating new memories. I not only want a bird dog that has a high prey drive, but also one that I can take everywhere. I have it narrowed down to the Pudelpointer, German Wirehair, and the Drahthaar. I am in Washington and willing to travel to get the right dog. Any suggestions for breeders for pups or started dogs? I would even be interested in a dog that someone needs to re-home as my the "rescue" dogs I have had over the years have been really great dogs.

Thank you all for your time, and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
David
If you are considering Pudelpointers I strongly suggest starting your search with Cedarwoods. Even if you don't go the Pudelpointer route you can learn a lot from the website and even more from Bob if you talk to him.

I have been on the website several times but I have not spoken with Bob.
He also does a two part interview on The Hunting Dog podcast that's pretty detailed. Once again more information that's over-arching no matter what breed you decide to go with.

This past weekend hunting with a buddy and a pile of shorthairs. Mine are the far 2, 1.5 and 9 years old. Hope you enjoy your new best friend, dont know what i would do without mine...

Attachments

• 20201119_121747.jpg
    20201119_121747.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 197
Guys thank you for posting your comments and mostly those pictures. My father and I had a hunting lab together and we really enjoyed watching her work but more importantly our time in the field together. We lost my father about 12 years ago and my football coaching has kept me busy in the fall. It's time for me to get back in the hills and grasslands chasing birds and creating new memories. I not only want a bird dog that has a high prey drive, but also one that I can take everywhere. I have it narrowed down to the Pudelpointer, German Wirehair, and the Drahthaar. I am in Washington and willing to travel to get the right dog. Any suggestions for breeders for pups or started dogs? I would even be interested in a dog that someone needs to re-home as my the "rescue" dogs I have had over the years have been really great dogs.

Thank you all for your time, and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
David
I vote Pudelpointer (we have two now). Between two of my buddies at work, we now run 5 pudelpointers and one GSP.
Photo of juniors first hunt two weekends ago. We got out of the truck and within 2 minutes he (Arrow, in pink collar) had already jumped into a canal that the rest of us walked by. This was his first ever bird. Beautiful point.
Chukars and quail next weekend.
Best blend of personality and hunting that I have encountered in any breed. I'm a fan for life.
mine both came from Cerdarwood Gun Dogs in Boise (Bob Farris).
PM me if you'd like to
Chat about them.

EDB95EDF-DC90-4CF5-8534-032EDE63C600.jpeg

I have a drahthaar and they are very intelligent and are an awesome working dog. They will hunt all day if you want or shutdown early. Very easy to train he is 7 months and bring birds to hand. The breeder is grizzly creek out of North Dakota

Attachments

• 6BA4A23B-1BFE-456D-8E42-2D16076D9095.jpeg
    6BA4A23B-1BFE-456D-8E42-2D16076D9095.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 179

Recent Posts