Bird dogs

I ran golden retrievers for years then about 20 years ago I was lead by a friend to German Wirehair Pointers. Love my boy Henry who's pictured in my profile picture. Pheasants again in the morning. 😊 A quote I saw recently read, "Everyone thinks their dog is the best one... and they are right. " Congrats on your new best dog !

Attachments

• 20201109_212610.jpg
    20201109_212610.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 274
We have two Pudelpointers and one German Shorthaired Pointer. 2 of them are Prize 3 UT dogs and Prize 1 NA. The other is a Prize 2 NA dog. Definitely a big fan of the NAVHDA training and testing.

Attachments

• FD8A0FE5-5126-44DC-815C-92B3A061805A.jpeg
    FD8A0FE5-5126-44DC-815C-92B3A061805A.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 436
  • E652CBAA-B0BE-4FFF-BC1F-5CAC1D681E71.jpeg
    E652CBAA-B0BE-4FFF-BC1F-5CAC1D681E71.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 414
I switched to a wirehaired pointing Griffon and I'm glad I did. I've had German shorthairs and German wirehairs and they're both phenomenal hunting breeds, but the personality of the wpg is a much better fit for my style of hunting (short range, heavy cover) and she's been a better house dog than either the of German shorthair or wirehairs ever were. Here she is chasing a grouse into the brush
1oBMqBe.jpg

Guys thank you for posting your comments and mostly those pictures. My father and I had a hunting lab together and we really enjoyed watching her work but more importantly our time in the field together. We lost my father about 12 years ago and my football coaching has kept me busy in the fall. It's time for me to get back in the hills and grasslands chasing birds and creating new memories. I not only want a bird dog that has a high prey drive, but also one that I can take everywhere. I have it narrowed down to the Pudelpointer, German Wirehair, and the Drahthaar. I am in Washington and willing to travel to get the right dog. Any suggestions for breeders for pups or started dogs? I would even be interested in a dog that someone needs to re-home as my the "rescue" dogs I have had over the years have been really great dogs.

Thank you all for your time, and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
David

looking at everyone's bird dogs. Just got a field bred english cocker spaniel. Will be my dove hunting dog. Will be my first hunting dog.
If you want to have your new dog retrieve doves I'd train the dog on doves and what ever else you want it to retrieve. My GSPs will pick up a dove but will quickly spit them out as they were trained 100% on quail, which they retrieve great.

Recent Posts