Bipods?

zr600

Ok I have a Harris bipod attached to my sling stud. Use a rear bag and the bipod at the range. I'm seeming like I get a fair amount of side to side movement. Would a atlas bipod be better for less movement?

The Harris bipods are great. I run too of them, but the atlas are nicer in my opinion. I feel like I have the most movement and most unstable behind my Harris as well but it's also sling stud attach. If i chance over too a rail (acra or pic) I think it would help greatly too.

The Harris is a great bipod but they are known to "hop". Particularly if shooting off a bench. The ones I had that were stud attached, also seemed to torque on larger caliber guns.
I went pic rail with flush cup sling attachments on all my guns and love that setup. No studs to get in the way if shooting off bags and lots of options for attachments with the pic rail. The Atlas is a great choice.

It's not the hopping after shooting. Seems like there is so much reticle movement while I'm aiming. It's left to right movements I'm getting. This is all before shooting.

Well I think maybe it's my rear bag. Today I went out shooting steel. I shot at 500yards and 700yards using a different rear bag. Held way more steady. Shot a 1.140" group at 500 yards.

When you are in position behind the rifle, With bipod and heel bag, Have someone check the stock and barrel contact with paper or business card. You in position ready to fire.
Some stocks do not have enough stiffness (Backbone) in the forearm, With the leverage a bipod can put excess stress on the stock, The barrel will touch the stock. If you torque the stock with your trigger hand grip, Things just get worse.

This is a fairly comprehensive article highlighting best-in-class bipods used by competitive shooters. Every person's needs are different — when I am at a range, for instance, I tend to shoot from a bench position. I've used the Atlas BT10 for awhile and am constantly tightening the cant; if I was prone on uneven ground, the cant would be a lifesaver.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.