bipods..

I love my evolution I got the long legs and can stack the long and short legs for sitting also like the tripod attachment but had to get another push pin (it only comes with one ) for the other side I can hit under moa at 600 yds ( the farthest I have shot so far with the tripod adapter) the carbon fiber legs seem to absorb the recoil better than the atlas I have

I have a Atlas CAL Tall and several harris bipods. I like the clean look of the atlas and I like all of the different positions you can lock the legs in. The harris is much quicker to deploy and get set up. I am not sure the CAL is worth 3x the harris, in fact I think I prefer the harris just for the ease of use. No push this button or pull this lever. There isn't any slack in the harris, so you don't have to load it.
First, I would like the ability to quikly establish a minimal but "stable" scant to my rifle to effect true rifle level on un-even ground. Just an added thought.

For hunting, can't beat the spartan set up. fastest on/off and lightest weight. can get varying leg length. Can also use the spartan tripod, which you may be carrying anyway for a spotting scope. I screw off one leg of the tripod and use it as a walking stick, and use the other two and head as a tall bipod. pricey, but worth it for the flexibility and light weight.

For PRS type shooting, Atlas is great.

First, I would like the ability to quikly establish a minimal but "stable" scant to my rifle to effect true rifle level on un-even ground. Just an added thought.
I still think the harris swivel is quicker than the atlas cal to set up level. Just my opinion.

I still think the harris swivel is quicker than the atlas cal to set up level. Just my opinion.
Sorry typo: meant the word cant( the verb), not scant. No criticism of Harris bipod here, just a capability I want in any manufactured bipod: something for thread originator to think about when making his purchase.

I typically do as well, but that can be difficult at times in a seated position. Personally, I rarely get a chance to shoot in the prone position due to tall grasses and brush.
The harris 12-25 has been my go to - its short enough to shoot prone and long enough to shoot sitting down.

Take a look at the Elite Iron. They are great. Quick set up lots of ways to use it and super solid. I use it for hunting and match work. Just my thought!!

I'm an atlas guy but rarely use a bipod in hunting situations unless it's a hunt that requires a long distance solution.

I have a Atlas CAL Tall and several harris bipods. I like the clean look of the atlas and I like all of the different positions you can lock the legs in. The harris is much quicker to deploy and get set up. I am not sure the CAL is worth 3x the harris, in fact I think I prefer the harris just for the ease of use. No push this button or pull this lever. There isn't any slack in the harris, so you don't have to load it.
For me, the Atlas takes about 1-second longer to deploy. The swivel on the CAL operates the exact same as a podlock on my Harris's, and extending legs takes the same amount of time. So for me, the +/-1 second extra of initial deployment has never been an issue.

As far as cost is concerned, I think a 3x difference is an exaggeration. My last Gen2 Tall CAL was +/-$220 shipped, and my last 9-13 harris was $89 + $15 for a podlock. So we're talking a difference of about $100. If you want to talk apples-to-apples, a Harris adapter to connect to a pic rail is +/-$60+, so the difference is closer to the $50 range. Regardless, in the context of long range hunting, $100 is really nothing, especially for the increase in stability that you gain.

Like I said, a Harris will work (I was shooting 1/2 MOA groups off a Harris last weekend), but a Gen 2 CAL is more stabile.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts