BIPODS? Anyone use them? Are they worth it? Harris...

I'm considering mounting a bipod for hunting- thought it might increase my shooting long range...better than leaning against a rock with my baseball cap
smile.gif

Any opinions on bipods? Are they worth it?

Which would you choose?

MODELS:

Model BR: (Bench Rest) Lowest of the Bipods. Most useful for shooting off the bench. Adjustable height from 6" to 9".

Model L: (Light) The world's largest selling bipod, compact and light. Adjustable height from 9" to 13" Weight 11 oz.

Model H: (High) For prone or sitting shooting, it's the best for varmint shooting. Adjustable from 13 1/2" to 23"

Model 25C: The tallest of the Bipods, Three piece leg construction adjustable from 13 1/2" to 27"

STYLES:

Series "M": A new version of the original Leg Notch Bipod. The legs eject by spring action. Height settings in 1" incremwents.

Series "S": Rotates to either side for instant leveling on uneven ground. Hinged base has tension adjustment and buffer springs to eliminate tremor or looseness. They are otherwise similar to non-rotating Series. Available for ALL models except the "H" model.

Thanks

Worth it? I would have a tough, tough time without the Harris on my Wolf and 6mm Rem... I don't use them on "woods rifles", of course - but for the long range stuff, I can't see using anything else...

And I'd get the shortest one possible - the BR...

most of my hunting is prairie and river bluff hunting. i always have a bipod on my rifles.

i like the longest model as it makes shooting from a seated position comfortable and possible. it goes short enough that prone is possible, though not comfortable, unless the terrain is broken enough that you can get the feet down lower than your belley.

i don't like the short models because they are mostly useless for shooting in the field - but if your shooting will be done from a bench, hood of a truck, etc, i don't think you can beat the br model.

I use the LM model exclusively, the notched leg version. There is never a worry about the leg slipping due to a lightly tightened cinch nut.

The only rifles I don't have a Harris Bipod on is my M40A1 look-a-like and that's only because there's no place to attach it (Wichita sling swivels).

I have had the tall versions in the past and the 3 piece leg version (25C) of the tall models seems best...low enough to shoot prone with and tall enough to shoot while sitting. The 2 piece leg tall version (H) seems to be just a little too short for seated shooting.

Just peen the leg swivel bolts a little at the nut end when you get it/them...I've had the nut come loose on a few...saves trouble in the field.

on my long range gun, no, i dont. i was getting to much jump from the recoil, and had problems keeping groups under 1moa past 500yards so now i shoot off my ruck sack.

on my 270 though, where shots are only up to 400yds, yes, i have one on that and its very nice.

-brian

I have found that they really work well for rifles with breaks when shooting prone.. but.. if you have a 360* break.. it gets dusty.. I don't have 360* breaks anymore...

On my rifles without breaks... the muzzle jump tends to be fierce at times. and past 500 can be a little difficult....

I have the Harris H and 25C. I use the 25C all the time, it is tall enough for me to use it sitting down. I haven't used the S models with the swivel. Seemed to move to much to shoot good at long range. I know a guy that has one and he seems to shoot fine at long range.

Harris bipods are great!!! I have all of them except the swivel type and use them according to the different areas that I hunt. If you can only afford one then go through your hunting routine to figure out which one will fit the obstacles that you have. Of course the short bipods are more stable but they are no good in tall grass and visa versa for the tall pods. Good Luck with your decision!!!

i dont know how i lived without my swivel 3pc and 9-13 on prarie dog/g-hog guns. the 9-13 is nicest for me to snuggle into. BR is too short for ground--especially if you need to see over any grass.

the high 3pc is nice if you have to sit up.

the swivels can be tightened with pliers so they dont swivel too much.

work awesome on uneven PD towns!!

took a PD with my M40A1 look alike at 639 lasered yds on the first shot--little thing just spun around and tipped over after the 168SMK hit him--dead center in the chest. drilled a nice 30cal hole thru him.

this was all coupled with a scope level--very quick to get a good shot off
JB

I own two Harris bipods, one swivel, one not. For me, I dislike using them in almost all hunting applications.

For the heavy BR LR style of rifle, they bounce and wiggle too much to be accurate at long range. For walking about, they add weight and are a pain to adjust for height when Bambi has sighted you from across the clear cut.

I will use the swivel model when in my truck and need a quick rest to take a shot. For this situation, the bipod is great.

For the other two situations (mostly how I hunt), I prefer to use proper stand/rests or natural objects. I always hunt with a backpack so can easily use it for a rest. I also spend a lot of time shooting off my hind legs. Where I hunt, the vegetation gets in the way or there just isn't enough time so shooting offhand or kneeling is the only option.

Good luck with the Harris. For a product, it is certainly one of the best made bipods. For useage, you either like them or hate them...bipods that is.

Jerry

"I will use the swivel model when in my truck and need a quick rest to take a shot. For this situation, the bipod is great."

why not just use the window? some guys like the automatic ones for fingertip elevation movement, but the manual ones are better for more accurate adjustments, ha ha.

humor guys, its only humor. relax.

-brian

I love my short Harris bipod. It is great for prone shooting, assuming you can set up that way. I actually shoot slightly better than off a bench. But get the back end firm and tight on your backpack, hot seat, or other. Good Luck!

You should consider the Versa-Rest, it is a precision instrument you can use on the bench and in the field, adaptable to tripod as well as bench. Check it out, you'll never need another gun rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.