Bipod Vs. Bags

Mike Liane

I would like to solicit some opinions on bench shooting using a bipod in front and bags in the rear as opposed to bags both front and rear. I personally tend to favor the bipod in order to be more consistent when taking the rifle off the bench into a hunting situation, but I don't believe the greatest accuracy is achieved when using the bipod. What do you long range experts think? Thanks, Mike.

S1,ARE YOU OUT THERE
grin.gif

I am not an expert, but I have shot many, many 5 shot groups that are sub .5 MOA, several sub .3 MOA and a few sub .25 MOA from a bipod and rear bag off concrete using the .223, 6mm Rem and 30 Wolf.

At my current level of shooting skill, I can't see a real difference between the mechanical front rest with front bag, and the bipod setup. I assume a more consistent shooter than I will indeed see the difference - you don't find the great benchresters shooting from a bipod!
wink.gif

But my goals are not the same as theirs, either...

With a proper pedestal front rest, the stock is cradled and rolling during recoil is reduced. The rifle tends to recoil straight back. This helps with consistency which leads to smaller groups. Look at rests offered through Sinclair to see how technical these rests can get.

With bipods, they can wobble and bounce during recoil. The harder the recoil and surface, the more likely there is a bounce. This can lead to vertical stringing which is really bad for LR accuracy. Also, can make seeing your shot more difficult.

If you have a round bottom stock, the bipod may help these stocks roll less during recoil. Also, by using a muzzle brake, the bouncing can be reduced.

For the utmost in bench stability, the front and rear rests are the way to go. For field accuracy ie hood of your truck, the bipod is better then just your elbows.

Whichever you choose, practise,practise, practise so that you have the consistency to make the shot.

Also, your drop tables are going to be different depending on the rests you use. Make sure you confirm before your hunt.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts