Bipod or shooting sticks?

I just purchased a Snipepod and it shipped same day. I should have it in less than a week worst case.

I am heading out east to hunt and am only a coupel of months recovered from Knee and hip Surgury so kneeling and Prone position while doable, is less than ideal. Pain and slowness of movement leave me believing I will likely be sitting or standing.

I like the concept a lot and if they are as good as they appear to be, I will be very pleased.

I like that you can use the standing version as a bipod, in essence having my cake and eat it too.

Thanks again for the heads up on these 300saum.

Im currently using the stoney point rapid pivot bipod. I have used a 27 inch Harris Bipod and Predator Sniper Styx with good luck also.

I have noticed that John Burns from Grey Precision has a Stoney Point rapid pivot quick attach point on the rear of his stock. On their new stock they sell they advertise it comes with the optional GreyBull Precision Rear Support System. Does anybody know what they are using or have pics of this setup in action?

If they are doing what I think they are doing its probably a very good system as shooting off a pair of shooting sticks or bipod there is always the problem with supporting the rear of your stock.
Precision Hunting Stock

I use a monopod. I made one 12 or so years ago from a monopod designed for a camera. Now I use one from cabelas because it's a little smaller. I've always been scary accurate using a monopod. It's amazing how solid it is when shooting from a sitting position like when coyote hunting. I've never used it past 400 yards, but I feel its effective range is well beyond that.

I have Harris's HBLMS on my own rifle. I also carry Stoney Points Steady Stix in my pack when I'm guiding for hunters without bi pods or shooting sticks. The Steady Stix also come in handy in the sage, snow or rocks when a prone shot is not possible.

I use both. The rifle has a Harris S-Series fitted and I always have a Stoney Point Tripod with me set up for the sitting position.

This is for hunting on foot in the Kalahari. The topography and grass most often don't play along for bipod use. By far the most shooting has been sitting of the sticks.

When hunting in the mountains I also carry both, but there the bipod has generally been fine.

I also use both.
Harris 6-9" bipod w/leg notches for long range shooting, and for hunts without long ranges expected I take my homemade bipod, made out of Chonta.
It just depends.

Aldon- I'm interested to know how the snipepod worked for you on your hunt?

Both my father and my uncle have used the snipepod for years with great success. The terrain we hunt is often not conducive to shooting prone so the sitting model seems to work well. I currently use a pair of Stoney point shooting sticks and it seems when we all are hurrying to get set up for a shot, inevitably my father and uncle will be on target long before I am through futzing around with my sticks. My hangup with the Harris has always been the weight and it seems the snipepod gives 90%-95% of the stability of the harris for a fraction of the weight penalty.

In the spirit of full disclosure, the person who manufactures these is an acquaintance of my father but none of us (except the guy who builds them) benefits if any of you buy a pair. So take my comments for what you think they're worth.

Personally, I like the product because of the versatility and light weight. I do think they are a bit on the spendy side for what you get though.

I just purchased a Snipepod and it shipped same day. I should have it in less than a week worst case.

I am heading out east to hunt and am only a coupel of months recovered from Knee and hip Surgury so kneeling and Prone position while doable, is less than ideal. Pain and slowness of movement leave me believing I will likely be sitting or standing.

I like the concept a lot and if they are as good as they appear to be, I will be very pleased.

I like that you can use the standing version as a bipod, in essence having my cake and eat it too.

Thanks again for the heads up on these 300saum.

+1 on snipepod, had mine 3 years, 6oz. great for hiking, road type prefer harris type.

I have both Stoney Point Steady Stix and Snipepod for sitting position shots when hunting in tall grass. Both work well. The Snipepod when attached to the rifle is quicker than Steady sticks to bring into position. I carry the steady stix for when I have a bipod already attached and may need to take a sitting shot.

For prone shots I opted for the cheaper Cadwell 9-13" which will swivel and cant. It works well. I also have a Sinclair F-Class bipod which I have used in the field successfully for sniping at rabbits. It is ungainly to carry but I use this if my son is using the Cadwell and the walking is restricted to about a mile as a sling cannot be attached.

ETR

Hi I'm new here, also a new coyote hunter. Have a Bushmaster w/versi-pod and like it very much. Is a litle heavy but worth the xtra wheaties it takes to pack it. folds front or back when mounted and detatches easily when not needed. Use shootin sticks when the bp ain't enough to get me over high grass or brush. Just another option. Also have a Howa 1500 with a harris 9-12 bp on it. don't like it as much as the versi-pod but is paid for and works fine.

I'm new as well and only have a couple of seasons experience with a rifle. So far I haven't tried any type bipod. Seems like it would be a lot of extra weight. I almost exclusively backpack hunt and have used my backpack as a rest. I also carry a walking stick that I can use for a standing shot if necessary.

I'll probably pick up a bipod for practice. I doubt I'll use one hunting, though, as the backpack provides a pretty solid rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.