Bipod for 50lb gun

lazylabs

I am finishing up a BMG that is going to be a MONSTER at least 66" long and around 50lbs. It has a richards microfit 3" wide semi bevertail laminate stock on it. It seems to be a little large for a harris bipod and I have no experience with anything that is more heavy duty. I have been thinking about building something but would really like to just start shooting instead. Has anyone had much luck with a monopod mounted in the rear of the stock to complete the tripod type setup with a bipod? That sounded a little confusing sorry!

Probably want to look at the sinclare bipod, I have aslo seen other HD bipods used in F Class but want to say they were about 4 beans. Look over at 6mmbr and benchrest for bipods they list a few pics here and there. Is a 3" forend stiff enough for a 50# bmg off of a bipod???
Also, we want pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, more pics!!!

Kraus built a big tuff bi-pod for his BMGs and Larry still carries them. They run $250 but are bulletproof!
States Arms bi-pod
verminthumperboomer.JPG

BOOMERCLIFF.JPG

machvcj.jpg

How are the adjustments on the state arms legs? My 50 will be close to size of the big bertha but with an Armalite action. The barrel is a lilja 36" 1.75 tapered to 1.518 at the muzzle plus a 6" brake. I think the stock will be OK I am adding an aluminum bedding block that will run almost to the end of the forearm. That with the 1/2 gallon of Devcon it will take the bed this beast it should be pretty stiff. The barreled action is 39# plus the laminate stock, bedding block, NF scope and bipod........ guessing 50lb might of been a little light. Thanks for the responses.

Nothing to add on the bipod but wanted to mention if you have not made the V-block already, you really probably do not need one if you can get a solid pillar bedding system for the AR-50 receiver.

I have a 35" 1.750" straight cylinder barrel hanging off mine at the moment and when I machined the brake I bored and threaded the stainless bar stock that was 15" in length and screwed it onto the barrel which made for 50" if 1.750" straight cylinder barrel. The barrel did not squat a bit in the stock. I am using the factory aluminum stock however.

Still, that reciever is stiff as hell. If you put a V-Block under the reciever it should work just as well and float the barrel.

Just suggestion. I have heard of problems using a V-Block or barrel block over 9" inlength. From what I have heard it comes from the expansion of the barrel as it heats. Does not seem to be an issue with blocks under 9" inlength however.

Keep us posted with your results, very interesting project. Get us some pics!!! I have been looking for a new stock for my 510 AM on the AR-50. Can you get me more information on the stock you are using?

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.