Bipod Focus Group

JSHou

Hey everyone,

Was hoping to get some thoughts/gauge interest on a couple of items my company is thinking about developing.

Any interest in 6" - 9" Picatinny ready (quick attach/detach, similar to Larue Harris adapter, just without needing the adapter) bipods?

We currently make it in a 9" - 13" and 13.5" - 23", leveling and leveling/panning. The 6" would likely come in both configurations as well. Since it's an AR oriented design, we didn't make it in a shorter length due to magazine clearance issues. However, some rifle stocks are coming spec'd with Pic rails now, don't know how many are actually out in the wild. Plus, semis are actually suitable for some "long range" shooting now (at least more than they used to be).

Secondly, any interest in a sling stud to Pic rail adapter? I know there are a few manufacturers of these, but I never saw the point. I don't want a tac light on my rifle. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any feedback!

The trend now seems to be AWAY from the handguards that are bristling with Picatinny rails. Most of the newest designs still maintain a rail on the top to use with scope mounts, forward-mounted red dot sights, etc. Some still have a small section of rail at 3 or 9 o'clock as well. A lot of them are dispensing with side and bottom rails altogether, and have gone for a sleeker system like the Keymod setup or one of its many proprietary variants. Without the rails you don't chew up your hands and gear, or need to cover up the rails, making the handguard that much fatter and heavier.

If I were you I'd take a look at the commonly available rails now - just pick up a Shotgun News and browse through it.

I can see your wish to eliminate an adapter that fits between the rail and the bipod - just another link in the chain to break or get loose. But I think the direction you might want to go is to have the mounting point for the bipod interchangeable between Picatinny, Keymod, or a standard QR sling swivel mount. Heck, you might even come up with a mount that bolts directly to the Magpul MOE handguard, eliminating the little rail segment that you need to bolt on.

Even if the replacement takes some tools, you'd only need to do that once to fit your rifle's setup, then you'd be good to go. If the bipod is permanently set up to just the picatinny, you lose out on an expanding market segment and may find yourself with a product that goes obsolete fairly soon.

Thanks for the response. You brought up several good points that we haven't considered.

How different are Keymod variants? I knew it existed, but didn't know about how much it is tweaked from manufacturer to manufacturer.

VLTOR published a spec for Keymod (they invented it) that you can study on Wikipedia: KeyMod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Any accessory that fits that system should have the same spec. I think there are other, competing types of sleek, quick detach systems - but they are altogether different systems, not variations of Keymod, technically speaking.

I did some follow up research after your first post. It seems that KeyMod is pretty popular, but Magpul is pushing hard for their new MOE upgrade, M-Lock.

Now that I know the background more comfortably, you were suggesting an adapter that would direct attach to these systems? Without the need to add the Picatinny rail as you do now?

That seems to be SOP with those systems as is. Our system is a quick attach and detach to Picatinny, which I think might be preferable to some shooters who don't necessarily want a bipod permanently attached. Then they can leave the rail section installed and only add the bipod as needed (5-10 seconds to attach).

Direct mount is an interesting idea though, I will pass it along to our design team. I'm curious to see if we can figure out a way to quick attach to those systems.

Right - I'm thinking if you made a replaceable/swappable part in the bipod itself, you could connect directly to a Picatinny, Keymod, or M-Lock, without any other intermediary parts. The bipod, when folded, would fit tighter to the gun and stick out a lot less, with fewer moving parts. And the handguard or fore end on the rifle wouldn't be cluttered up with additional rails, etc. when the bipod is removed.

That would be pretty slick. I'll see what our design team can come up with.

Thanks for the input. Hard to see the forest through trees sometimes. :)

I shoot bipod almost exclusively bench and prone, target and game.

My MSR (modern sporting rifle) has a carbon fiber free float tube with a single stud. Though when using it for High Power I will sling it. Of course all bolt rifles except bench rest have a sling stud.

Features I really want:
Sling stud attachment.
Tilt with locking/resistance.
Pan with self centering.
Wide stance.
Rigidity.

I would like the additional feature of a wide "sling" leg attachment that would put the leg attachment point on the barrel center line (ish), ala F-Class solid/rigid bipods.

I am also interested in:
A rear mono-pod that would attach to the rear sling stud.
A folding long extension or really quick attach from mono-pod. Extension length to match seated or kneeling shooting position.

My company is also looking at making a notched leg variant of our bipods.

Any complaints about Harris notched legs?

Sometimes I'll bump mine and the legs will kick out to the first notch. Then I'm relying on gravity to extend the leg when I need it or I have to collapse the leg to load the spring, then lift the rifle and use it normally.

Anyone use the non-swivel version of the notched leg? I had one originally, but since I use the legs for uneven terrain, I ended up getting the swivel variant instead.

Thoughts on spacing? Is it about right? Too long?

Anything I'm missing that you'd like to see change?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.