Bipod broke my stock!!! Ever seen this?

I'm having trouble believing this just happened. I was shooting off a bipod from the bench and this happened. I added the pic rail and additional t-nut to this stock but it broke through the factory installed one (I installed the one further forward). This is a super lightweight carbon fiber and Kevlar stock.

the rifle manufacturer stated that they do not recommend use of a bipod on this model so there is no warranty coverage.

anyway, it's either a freak deal or needs to be a word of caution to anyone using a super lightweight stock. I can't imagine a stock that you can't use a bipod with...View attachment 200558View attachment 200559View attachment 200560View attachment 200561View attachment 200562View attachment 200563
If you want to send me the stock I will repair it for you. I've been a custom stock make for nearly 50 years and do a lot of repair work. I don't know where you're located but PM me for details if your interested. Here is a pic of a Maple stock I repaired this spring. It's one of my own but a friend used it last fall, leaned it against his truck then drove off and ran over it breaking it in three places. When I was finished, even though the repair shows, the barreled action dropped right back into it. Let me know.
IMG_20200314_184643805.jpg

I have a McMillan game scout stock on one of my rifles. I am planning on putting a rail on it but this thread made me nervous so I gave them a call. tech-support said drilling the stock will NOT void the warranty so that's good to know .

I have a McMillan game scout stock on one of my rifles. I am planning on putting a rail on it but this thread made me nervous so I gave them a call. tech-support said drilling the stock will NOT void the warranty so that's good to know .
so I could do this to my Macmillan and not void the warranty?
20200520_053609.jpg

But you bought it knowing this & still did it :confused:o_O

Unfortunately I doubt there would be any recourse from the manufacturer.

Still I find it odd that if they don't recommend a bipod being mounted that they installed a hole/stud in the 1st place o_O

Why install them if you dont want people to use them??
My guess is the stud was to be used for a sling. That being said, i would blow a fuse if one of my stocks broke because i use a bipod. But then I have two rifles using Manners stocks that I've drilled holes in the stock to install inserts to attach arca plates for mounting the setup to my tripod. So if they brake I doubt Manners would offer any relief. So i guess I fall into the group that would have never thought that would happen, store the info as a lesson learned and call the manufacture to see if by chance they will help you out. Good luck!

OP stated that it was not advertised or stated in specifications that a bipod is not acceptable. It was only in retrospect, when he called about the failure, that they told him verbally that a bipod is not advised. My understanding is that he had no idea.
The original post said "The rifle Manufacturer stated bipods should not be used." It said Stated, it didn't say anything about after the fact or in retrospect. Plus he altered the stock. His own fault.

I had an ultra lite stock on a 25-06 that was actually made from some sort of styrofoam. Took it on trade. Didn't pick it out. It ended up breaking at the pistol grip from normal firing. Not very durable but man was it light.

This used to happen when guys started getting into cf stocks last decade or so. It can be repaired and strengthened but will add a few oz and you will need to repaint. Lots of shops can do this or if you're a diy guy it's not that hard either.

-------I'm not sure I have ever seen any written info in any of my rifle manuals that say it's ok or not ok to mount a rail or bipod. ------
LOL. I just realized that my rifles were all manufactured before commercial rifle bipods were sold (Wikipedia: Harris Engineering patent - 1979). So I know the manuals did not say I could or could not mod them for a bipod.

There seem to be huge differences between composite stock manufacturing techniques. There is no excuse for the break in the picture. About 15 years ago I went to the biggest gun trade show in Europe to find a composite stock for myself. We ended up starting our own company manufacturing carbon fibre composite stocks I was so disgusted with what I saw at the show. At least I have a good supply of stocks for myself now.
edi

I appreciate the OP sharing this as well as that he went back and read the manual and confirmed that it did not warn anyone not to do this. Any company selling a rifle designed for 'backcountry' use in places like the Rockies ought to expect folks want to use a bipod and given that this one appears to have broken where the original sling stud would be found, this could have happened almost as easily if the stock did not have a pic rail installed. And anyone selling a rifle like this that has had a pretty good reputation for quality ought to have wanted to take care of this as it does not take many reported incidents for this to be a bigger problem. I know that my perception has previously been that folks have had very few issues with their products that would be an issue for me as well and that has been changed here.

I kind of feel like the manufacturer should be putting the no bipod information somewhere that anyone would see it. What do they think we do with these $3000 rifles?
They think you will shoot the ultralight rifle off hand, bags, backpack or some other rest. When I think ultralight bi-pods aren't a consideration. Adding a bi-pod I think wasn't the death nail of warranty. It was drilling into the stock to make the picatiny rail mount.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.