Bipod broke my stock!!! Ever seen this?

Doubt epoxy would adhere to the foam center. Very porous and unlikely to hold. Maybe fit an aluminum rod into both (broke off end and remaining stock) and epoxy the rod in and try using some kind of fiberglass resin to connect the stock at the break. Never know. Could work.
I would drill along the stock on each side,so as to put an aluminum tube to bond it to the stock material. One down each side,and glue it back together.

I'm having trouble believing this just happened. I was shooting off a bipod from the bench and this happened. I added the pic rail and additional t-nut to this stock but it broke through the factory installed one (I installed the one further forward). This is a super lightweight carbon fiber and Kevlar stock.

the rifle manufacturer stated that they do not recommend use of a bipod on this model so there is no warranty coverage.

anyway, it's either a freak deal or needs to be a word of caution to anyone using a super lightweight stock. I can't imagine a stock that you can't use a bipod with...View attachment 200558View attachment 200559View attachment 200560View attachment 200561View attachment 200562View attachment 200563
Nice stock, but I seriously doubt that they'll replace it .

It's a Cooper stock on a Cooper factory rifle. Not a Greyboe and I'm sure Greyboe would have issues with them being dragged into this.... here's a statement about Cooper stocks, by Cooper.

"Cooper Firearms of Montana builds some of the finest semi-custom and custom rifles in the USA, all with their "own" hand-fitted stocks. We are now making certain models available in limited production runs in handmade wood and fiberglass / kevlar / carbon fiber layup construction."

Last edited:
What are you all becoming...a bunch of SNOWFLAKES....
He has already talked to them...
They said go fly a kite...
You've all complained a pile...
Does manufacturer of a Corvette have to cover damages to a vette some idiot wraps around a power pole.....
We all take the chance of losing money in this venture...there are other stock builders...
fix it or buy a new one....
Lesson learned....
Dang snowflakes.....

I would drill along the stock on each side,so as to put an aluminum tube to bond it to the stock material. One down each side,and glue it back together.
At this point I'd have no confidence it will hold up. Seeing how cheap the stock design is, the rods would probably pop out the thin layer of whatever the material is they wrapped the foam in.

I had no idea they are not going to replace it when I made my comment. That stock is plain junk. If that's the kind of crap they build I'd stay far away from them. I'm glad I saw the stock failure as a friend was looking at buying a Cooper. I'll have to point him to this thread.

What are you all becoming...a bunch of SNOWFLAKES....
He has already talked to them...
They said go fly a kite...
You've all complained a pile...
Does manufacturer of a Corvette have to cover damages to a vette some idiot wraps around a power pole.....
We all take the chance of losing money in this venture...there are other stock builders...
fix it or buy a new one....
Lesson learned....
Dang snowflakes.....
Go break a vette fender....then take a picture. I'll bet your picture shows a different kind of failure of the materials. That is what we are talking about. That stock has all the structure of a model airplane wing.

also, why the personal attack?.....trying to add 10 more pages to this thread?

I have played with enough fiberglass on driftboats cars and fiberglass fish reproductions to know how it is used....
The company was questioned on this...they sold him the rifle..without the written words of to not use a bipod on it...the owner drilled and installed another stud...placed a rail...and inadvertently broke his stock.....oops....it happened...if it is a Cooper...they said to bad for your modification..(which was mininmal)...but it's his problem...and he has owned up to it...
If 'Cooper' decides to ride out all the rants on here and still NOT give him a stock...oh well....then on every site there can be a picture and caption...saying the company won't fix this problem.....big deal....
Maybe 'Cooper' will lose business..maybe they wont....
But its their call......
Maybe the guy putting the stock together missed a touch of classing gel right at that spot...maybe the OP put TOO MUCH torque on the screw when he attached the rail.....it broke....
OOPS.....fix it or buy new.....
if he had reloaded a round that blew up the receiver..whose fault would that be.....

Holes are evil. Holes in composites are more evil. Avoid them at all costs. The crack started the moment those two stud holes were drilled. Composites do not like point loads, like those two studs load it. Needs to be a distributed loading to spread out the stress.

Instead of those t-nuts, that are designed for use in wood, bond in a sheet metal channel that extends almost to the recoil lug pocket, and make it double thickness near the stud holes (holes that are evil in composites are also evil in sheet metal too).

I would not use a stock that was not recommended for use with a bi pod unless I wanted an ultra lite rifle. A bi pod is essential to me regarding the way I normally shoot. Thanks for the heads up. I hope you get some restitution, but I would not be surprised if you didn't.

Gentlemen,
Sometimes, even at my old age, I still am amazed by the old adage of "What were they thinking? " This is one of those times. You want an excellent lightweight rifle, which requires a lightweight stock to keep the weight down (foam filled or hollow), normally blocked with aluminum for the barrel and action, then start adding attachments to it to make a shooting rest (bipod). These lightweight stocks are intended to be shot either off-hand or off a bag, limb, pack or whatever you can get a firm rest on. The swivel studs are made only for a sling. I've repaired several of these but always advise owners to use the bipods on heavier made stocks. I also quit repairing them because I couldn't make any money doing it as it is too time consuming.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.