Bipod broke my stock!!! Ever seen this?

I'm having trouble believing this just happened. I was shooting off a bipod from the bench and this happened. I added the pic rail and additional t-nut to this stock but it broke through the factory installed one (I installed the one further forward). This is a super lightweight carbon fiber and Kevlar stock.

the rifle manufacturer stated that they do not recommend use of a bipod on this model so there is no warranty coverage.

anyway, it's either a freak deal or needs to be a word of caution to anyone using a super lightweight stock. I can't imagine a stock that you can't use a bipod with...View attachment 200558View attachment 200559View attachment 200560View attachment 200561View attachment 200562View attachment 200563
The channel below the barrel seems to leave ample opportunity to epoxy in a stabilizing bar as someone else has suggested. You have certainly reinforced my habit of going slower and carrying a heavier rifle. Thanks for the excellent well illustrated presentation of the issue and great attitude.

That is the very reason I will never own a rifle with a composite stock! I was aware of the problems in the late 60's with the problems on the M16. They were a disaster. Soldiers falling to the ground to take cover and the stocks just broke off, leaving them with not much of a weapon to defend themselves. So; I have never owned a composite stock and never will. They just don;t have the strength of that good old hardwood stock. If you have to replace it at your cost, I would recommend a wood stock.

Don't know what you paid for that stock, but it was to much. It is just a foam filled shell and was weak by design, light weight normally means weak. Not being critical, but that's a shame to build something like that and charge two prices. Some of the most expensive composite stocks I have worked on are built cheep to save cost and make more money.

I would get a refund and buy another brand Because this could have happened on a once of a lifetime hunt and ruined it for you. The last one that I had to install an adjustable but plate looked like the but stock was stuffed with Ziploc's as a filler, and there were no abutments for the screws so we had to build some before the but stock could be installed and the original recoil was just glued to the back of the stock.

Most composite stocks are way over priced and have many other issues, so much so that I have replaced all of mine with wood or laminates and along with the added strength, accuracy has improved on every one of them to some degree.

Sorry for being so negative, but I have seen this before and just don,t want the problems that come with them to shave a little weight.

Just my experiences with composite stocks as a builder.

J E CUSTOM
Thats ridiculous dude. I hope thats not HS precision or B&C or SIX? Thats gotta be a mfg defect. I have numerous kevlar and fiberglass and composite stocks and use them hard and with bipods and never had anything remotely like that happen. They used to advertise that you could ride over them with a truck. You need an exchange or different brand.

...So no aftermarket stock options...

I'm not really one to raise hell
You might try getting in touch with Mark Bansner and discuss the problem with him. Legendary Arms Works may be able to get you in touch, or maybe provide some guidance themselves. Good luck.

I cant remember what they call those type lock nuts but I have seen that they will start a crack in wood I have not ever seen that in a rifle stock before. has any one else?

My first impression is"that will buff right out"!!Seriously ,if it only came with one sling swivel mounted that would be a big hint right there.I have McMillan stocks with light fill and have no problems with them.Carbon fiber is super brittle by it self.You can`t blame the manufacturer if you tampered with the stock.I have had folks return knives I have made broken.If it was broke doing normal cutting duties I would replace it.If it was broke being used as a screw driver,hammer or pry bar ,they are on their own.It is too bad this happened to you,but is one of lifes educational moments.You have tp pay to get educated.JMHO,Huntz

I spent a lot of professional time in product safety and IF the bipod statement is not in the product manual anywhere, you definitely have a point of discussion with them. I agree with other commenters, telling you verbally is after the fact is a not a defensible position and even it is in a "brochure" the actual manual is where legal positions are "normally" stated IMHO.

I bought fender flares for my truck years ago and installed them. They had screws around the perimeter in the pockets purely for decoration. Just plain nuts and washers so I put locktite on them to keep them tight. A couple days later the screws were breaking out-a lot of them. I got a warranty replacement for the set and installed them but didn't install the screws. Some time later I installed the screws, with locktite, and they were breaking out the holes within a day. Emailed the manufacturer and asked about using locktite and would it hurt the plastic and I had watched a truck show on tv where the host installed the same flares and used locktite on the screws. Manufacturer replied that I should not be using locktite because it will break down the plastic of the flares and he sent me instructions for install that stated that. Those were not the instructions that I received with the product, so I scanned what I had and sent that to him showing there were no warnings about not using locktite on the screws. They replaced them again but instead I got the set without the screw pockets.

So if there was no warnings in the manual against installing a bipod or any accessory to the stock forend or against performing any modifications/altering it and that voiding warranty, you should be able to get some help from them. Either don't install the bipod or get a different stock that is made for a bipod.

I'm going to have to read through the (at this point 9 pages) but wanted to post now. That is a VERY poorly laid up laminate. Almost no fibers going through the break and I don't see anything resembling carbon (black) or Kevlar (yellow) just a few small glass fibers from a regular cloth. There appears to be a void by the rear screw in one of the photos. If it was truly a "carbon" stock you could easily supports a huge amount of weight out on the front of it. It could be repaired as a few have mentioned here but I would do it a bit differently than suggested so far.

Any company can suffer a quality control problem and out of spec parts get to to the customer. I hope that is all this is. A new guy on the night shift can cause a lot of headaches.

Well I am going out on a limb here and I know people are going to either hate me or .. well most will just hate me for what I am about to say. from your pics and the warning, I am about to try to explain why I believe it failed.
the super light weight stocks sacrafice strength in certain areas for weight savings. if they do not recommend the bi-pod, it is due to the lack of strength in the specific area of the stock where the bi-pod would go. the deep channel of the fore end of that stock and the claw type nut added to the break you have suffered. there is one way to repair this as I have done before in such instances. Six to eight carbon fiber arrows about 14" to 18" long bedded into the stock will strengthen the broken area and the rest of the fore end so that you can run a bi-pod. With that repair it will be approximately 8 to 12 ounces heavier but it will not break like that again. The deep cut out in the fore end is what made the stock too weak to take the weight of the rifle on that point of breakage. the claw type nut exacerbated the weak area into breaking even faster. I am sorry this happened, I have seen it in my shop before. there is a solution to the weakness and it can be repaired. it will require a knowledgeable gunsmith and some time. Another good man to repair this break would be a good Fiberglas man with repair experience. I may not agree with these opinions about not acceptable; I see two really bad mistakes you made home repairing the stock (pull through nut) and installing T-nuts that made your stock even weaker than the manufacturer made it. Like I said, I am sorry this happened to you. it can be repaired, it can be strengthened to better than new with the right techniques your rifle stock will not break again.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.