bipod bench problems

Snowbird

i'm having a hard time getting my harris bipod legs to hold on the concrete bench. adding some fabric still allowed it to slip. I plan to carry my rifle with the bipod and shooting sticks so i'd prefer to practice with them at the range. so, what type of tricks do you have for being able to load up the legs without having them slip out?

this problem has been causing my rifle to jump to the bolt side consistently and need repositioning each time for follow-up shots.

Take a length of thick rope, I use tow cord, and tie it around the bench. Our benches have 3 support legs, two in front and one in back. I go behind the back support, under the table then loop over the top of the bench. Push the bipod legs up against the rope for tension. You can tighten your knot depending on how much slack you need to get your rifle into position. Just a quick fix I use on a slick bench top.

I use a smooth 1/4" sheet of plexiglass under the legs on the bench when using a bipod. I also try to get as much as my body as possible behind the rifle shooting a hard hold. As is done when shooting prone.

I take a shooting mat and lay prone next to the bench
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This

The only time I use a bench is during initial load development/barrel break-in and Oehler velocity checks (initial 10 to 20 rounds). Otherwise its on the ground. The bipod legs can rest on the front flap of the mat. Better yet, if there is dirt on the range the bipod legs rest there.

A piece of outdoor type carpet work very well and gives you a similar loading ability to dirt, get the bipod and your bag on the same surface, the best is to just get in the dirt if you can.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.