Binoculars

lefty15

I am in the market for a pair of new binoculars. My budget is around $250.00. I would like the power to be x10 or x12 and objective size to be around 50mm, and also I need the optics to be clear. Do you guys have any info on which bino's to look at?

I'm not trying to be a wiseacre...but at the price range you outline there isn't anything that comes to mind. I would politely and strongly suggest you save your hard dollars for a better quality of binoculars.

You could look at the SWFA website at their used glass or perhaps on e-Bay, and I'm sure that some the dealers on this site can point you in a direction.

Try to think of your binocular purchase as a one-time lifetime purchase!!!

Lefty, The only pair that comes to mind in that price range is the Nikon ATB's and even they are tipically a little more.

Have some cash ready and search around on the web. Go to some of the bird watching sites and look at their classified's section (they also have bino reviews). Check the hunting sites as well. You'll get a better pair for your money if you're willing to buy a used pair.

Why look on the bird watching websites? bird watchers typically aren't as hard on their equipment as hunters, so a used pair of binos are likely to be in better shape.

TAC

TAC

[ QUOTE ]
What about Steiner Predator 12 x 40?

[/ QUOTE ]

18 years ago, I ordered and bought a pair of steiners. (I think they were 10x50's. I really wanted the Zeiss 10x40's, but didn't really have the money.

When they arrived, I was very disappointed because after 10 minutes of viewing I had a headache. The edge of the view was not in the same focus as the center etc etc.

I returned them and bit the bullet. I still have that same pair of Zeiss bino's. They are still as crystal clear as the day I bought them. I've carried them all over Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Michigan.

The pair of Steiner's I received might have been a 1 in a million lemon. I bought the Zeiss and I've been thankful that I did ever since. I've lost track of the number of times a friend and I would be watching/spotting animals and he'd need to borrow my binos to see what I was pointing out.

Don

I got a pair of vortex Broadwings last year. They are made by Stokes birding. They are very clear and i think may be better than the nikons. I got them as a step towards bigger and better things. They have a great warranty and are exceptionaly clear. They are worth a look if you cant save more money.

I purchased a pair if Minox BD 10x42 BL binoculars for last years hunt. I was in a pinch for cash and wanted to better my previous Brunton's. I got them from Doug at cameralandny.com and have been very happy. Nice optics for the money.

They may look funny but, I can see things through these that you cannot see with Swarovski's. They are on another level that ordinary binoculars can only dream of. Never let anyone else look through them or you will never see them again. I'm serious. I was going to order up a new set of EL's as I hunt and shoot alot with guys who use Leica's and Swarovski's and they always ask to use mine to confirm what they think they see through theirs.

PC Nation Canon Binocular link

From this outfit you get free 3 day shipping. After the rebate they are 275.00.
They are the Canon 10x30IS
10x30is_586x225.jpg

The only draw back is you can't go swimming with them. They do make a waterproof set but that will blow your budget. When it comes to clear optics Canon might know something. I'm sure I have heard that name before somewhere.

HiredGun , thanks for the tip , that's a heck of a price . I'm going to try them . Don't care what they look like ....sort of weird like the IOR Optics. I have been intrigued by Image Stabilized ( IS) Binocs. ever since I tried a pair of Zeiss 20X ( IS ). Incredible Glass , and as I recall something like $2000 twenty years ago . I don't like anything over 7X to 8.5X handheld , but with the IS feature , 10X should be a breeze . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well , I got my Canon 10X30 IS ( Image Stabilized ) Binocs . Even though they look unusual , they feel very good in my big hands. Focusing felt good , and those internal Gyros worked like a charm to really dampen hand vibrations . The IS feature only works when you keep the top button depressed and I'm surprised they did'nt have a permanent "on/off" switch too . I won't be able to Test Image Resolution until it warms up ...like in a month or so . I usually test Optics from a dead solid rest and will do so , but this is not really fair with an Image Stabilization System . Guess I will just have to wait until my Summer Pdog Expedition and compare hand-held to hand-held .

PC Nation delivers quick don't they. Don't forget to submit for the rebate.

If they had an "on-off" switch how many times would you or someone else leave them on and kill the batteries before you thought? Hummmm, maybe if they had a momentary switch, I wouldn't have to worry about leaving them on.

Why wait a month to compare? Even in an urban setting, hand held they will show you more detail than the best high dollar binoculars ever will.

Yep HG , delivery was quick . I did have some problems downloading that darn Rebate form . The Service Rep. solved that by sending me something I could download. Outside temps are 10 deg. Max. & my Arthritis don't like them temps. so my preliminary testing will wait . The only way for me to compare is under real life Pdog. hunting conditions where I am glassing for many hours . So far , many guys have preferred my Bushnell 7X26 Custom Compacts to their high end 10 or 12X Binocs ....unless they rest their elbows on the shooting table , and that's not useful for hours of scouting . I also use a lawn chair where I can rest my elbows and even this position gets tiresome after 4 or 5 hours when I'm scouting for another shooter ( I'm wondering what pressing that button down for hours will be like )? Anyway , these Canons look and feel good ....better than I had anticipated ...so thanks again . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When your elbows are rested you probably will not need IS. I only push the button to really get a really good look at something in particular. The rest of the time or while scanning I don't use the IS. They are really good for use from a boat or aircraft too because they never hold still.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.