Binoculars

1shooter585

I hunt primarily in West Texas for mule deer and my trusty old pair of Steiner Binoculars bit the dust. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck but I don't really want to spend $2000 for a pair of glasses. I need long range, quality optics that I won't have to baby. Any suggestions would really help as I haven't looked at optics in a long time and I'm not married to any particular manufacturers. Thanks in advance for your help. 1shooter

Zeiss, Leica and a few others are well known to have excellent binoculars in that range. A Swarovski is priced just above that $2000 cutoff.

Best value for the money is probably the Meopta 10x42 HD for around $999. Cabelas sells them as well under their own name, same price. These binos have been highly praised anywhere you look them up.

Optics Review: OL Ranks the Best New Full-Size Binoculars for 2012 | Outdoor Life

I picked up a set of these recently and like them a lot. In 2 weeks I'll be able to compare them to Swarovskis and Zeisses first hand while elk hunting but I don't expect to be disappointed.

+1 for Meopta / Cabelas Euro!

Best glass for under $1000. I have a older pair of 12x50. The glass quality is fantastic and they are the most durable pair of binos I have ever had. I have hunted with a lot of high end glass and these stand alone in quality at their price point.

I haven't personally dealt with the Meopta, and I'm sure they are as excellent and everyone says, but if you want something that compares pretty closely spec wise (and has even better for eye relief, ligher and closer focusing distance - all at a cheaper price) then you might want to check out the Vortex Viper 10x42 HDs.

They are rugged and along with them comes peace of mind with the unconditional warranty that Vortex offers.

They are fairly compact for a 10x42 and come in lighter than the Meopta (not much only about 3 oz.), and while not as important - I do like the look of the Viper HDs more than the Meoptas.

As far as best glass under $1000 you can get Zeiss Conquest HDs and the compact Swarovski CLs. The CLs are nice because they are excellent glass in a super compact and lightweight package, although the 30mm objective might not do it for you in those lower light conditions.

Just some more options for you to consider.

Used Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss. Buy anything less and you'll be chasing your tail until you do.

THIS!! I have Swarovski 12X50EL's & 15X56SLC's. Both have ammazing clarity and light gathering ability. The 15's might be alittle big to carry all day but the 12's are smaller and lighter and are just as good.

Used Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss. Buy anything less and you'll be chasing your tail until you do.

Tested my Meopta HDs against Zeiss Victory's last week when elk hunting. Actually my partner did the comparing (he owns the Zeisses). Every time he borrowed my Meoptas he mentioned how they were brighter and clearer.

I used them all week and was exceedingly pleased with them. I didn't get a chance to compare to Dad's Swaro's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts