binoculars on a budget

Chevy21057

I am wanting to buy my son some binoculars. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. They will be use mainly for whitetail. And need to be tuff. Any suggestions would be great.

It depends on how much your "budget" is. The sky is the limit on binos. If you are looking for good quality and reasonable prices, look at some of the Cabelas waterproofs. I have some 8x that have taken a beating. There are gobs of decent binos out there, but it depends on how much money you want to wrap up in them.

For the money the swift Audubon porro prism 8.5x44 is hard to beat. they are about $350. It gets top ratings from bird watchers who really use binos for long periods. A porro design gives you a lot more for the money then the roof design which is more compact and popular. If you want a roof design the bushnell 10x42 ultra legend is real good and has won some awards for best binos in its class

Ive had a pair of zeiss 10X40 BA for about 30 yrs and they are getting tired so I wanted a new"cheap" pair to use while I send them back to the factory. this weekend I bought a pair of redfield rebel's and I am real happy with them. only 180$.

optics have come a long way in the last 20yrs with all the edm machining and such. I have really been impressed with some of the cheaper optics. it used to be that a tasco or bushnell scope was not worth the 5$ it would take to send it back to the factory for repairs. I now own several tascos and a couple bushnells that are great scopes. same thing with binos.

my advise is don't overlook these in your decision, but the real test is looking thru them.....not all are the same. AJ

for 200-250 you can get a pair of nikon monarch atbs. Heck of a good binoc for that amount of money.

I am wanting to buy my son some binoculars. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. They will be use mainly for whitetail. And need to be tuff. Any suggestions would be great.

Chevy,

After detailed comparisons at the big sporting good stores for optics, features, performances and values, I kept coming back to the mid-range Leupold BX-2 Cascade 10X42 Binoculars. I found the small size, lighter weight, excellent edge-to-edge clarity, tact sharpness (with great DOF), superb build quality and great dollar value too much to ignore! For the investment, these BX-2's really are overall an Excellent buy (about $250).

Their ergonomic design fits extremely well in my hands and provides quick and precise easy adjustments. I found my BX-2's also are excellent in very low light conditions, pulling in details and light beyond my seeing abilities. At the range, we were able to compare the BX-2's to a $1,600 pair of Swarovski 10X42's. We were all blown away at just how close in optical performance and clarity these were to the Swaro! With a lifetime warranty and the Leupold reputation for overall quality optics, these should also be considered!

find a set of old bausch & lomb zephers and compare them with most of the new glasses and get a real surprise. still excellant by any standards.
find them on ebay in mint condition for about $100.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.