Binoculars for hunting and scouting

What kind of hunting?
Will you be sitting in a deer shack on a field edge or in a tree stand with a bow? Will you be hiking miles in the mountains or driving an ATV or truck?
Lots of options to consider.
I would suggest spending more $.
I think decent quality can be had in the $350-$500 range. I've never regretted purchasing quality.
Pay once cry once.
Good luck.

Hi there,
I am looking for budget binoculars for hunting.
I'm considering few and come down to these 4:
(I have been looking for binos under $200)

○ Athlon Neos G2 HD 8x42 ($113)
○ Carson VP 8x42 ($145)
○ Wingspan Phoenix Ultra HD 8X42 ($180)
○ Wingspan Optics Skyview Ultra HD 8X42 ($180)

If there is some binos you would consider instead I would be grateful for that.
Must be crystal clear and sharp.
Water and fogproof
IMHO, You'll find yourself in the same situation. "cheap stuff ain't good and good stuff ain't cheap"
Nobody wants to spend more than they have to, me included. But if it takes me a little longer to save up, I will, just so I won't be dissatisfied and have to spend the $$ a second time.
my .02 Cents

I had all kinds to binoculars over the years. I still have a set Leupold 8 x 35 or 40 not sure o the last numbers. They are in my pickup on the right hand side door pocket and they are 30+ old. Mine are in the left hand side 10 x 50. I don't go anywhere without them. The larger the numbers are what the binoculars allows for more light gathering. Being limited on funds I would go with Leupold or wind river. They generally hold up.

I've been hunting for over 50 years and never until the last 10 years have had any high quality glass on anything, scopes, binos or spotting scopes. It all started with Zeiss 10 X 42 binos and then went to Swarovski spotting scope and then to Vortex Razor rifle scopes. As said in previous reply's, quality glass will spot game that normal glass will pass over and they are easier on your eyes when glassing for hours. Either save for the good stuff or take out a loan but don't go cheap on high end glass period.

Hi there,

○ Carson VP 8x42 ($145)

Water and fogproof
You might want to check out the Vortex Diamondback. I have been very pleased using these in Nevada, Montana, and Wyoming. You won't have to mortgage the farm either!

Hi there,

○ Carson VP 8x42 ($145)

Water and fogproof
What kind of hunting do you do? I feel that plays a lot into the decision. Expensive glass definitely makes a difference. Where I notice it the most is in the first 30 minutes and last 30 minutes of light. I had a pair of Steiner predator 10x42s and loved them. Now I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42s and the difference in low light and clarity in looking over big distances is truly unbelievable. I was blown away. But if you're hunting from a stand, you may not need a higher end bono. 100% of my hunting is in the west where I'm glassing over big areas and the expensive glass is well worth it. If you truly feel you're good with that price, I would suggest vortex. I think they give you the best bang for your buck.

What kind of hunting do you do? I feel that plays a lot into the decision. Expensive glass definitely makes a difference. Where I notice it the most is in the first 30 minutes and last 30 minutes of light. I had a pair of Steiner predator 10x42s and loved them. Now I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42s and the difference in low light and clarity in looking over big distances is truly unbelievable. I was blown away. But if you're hunting from a stand, you may not need a higher end bono. 100% of my hunting is in the west where I'm glassing over big areas and the expensive glass is well worth it. If you truly feel you're good with that price, I would suggest vortex. I think they give you the best bang for your buck.
Excellent Comments.

Osprey Global 8x34 through Optics Armory is a very clear glass for the money. Looked through one at a show last year and was very impressed with the indoor clarity up through the steel rafters into dark corners. OA has them on sale at the moment within your price range. China-made, lifetime warranty. JMHO.

I have a pair of Nikon monarchs 8 x 42 , ever since I got better glass, I don't use them, they are not bad, but can't hold a candle to ZEISS, If you would like my Nikons, send me a pm.

You might want to check out the Vortex Diamondback. I have been very pleased using these in Nevada, Montana, and Wyoming. You won't have to mortgage the farm either!

Everyone saying to save a little longer and get high quality but if you are still looking under $200, Bass Pro has Diamondback Binos on sale for around $170 a few weeks ago. For under $200 you can't beat them IMO.

Far and away for sub 200 bones look at the Leupold Yosemite in a 6x30. I've used them a ton, as have the G-kids. I know a lot of people who've bought them and really like they. Plus, they're fairly light.

They make an 8 as well, but IMO and the guys I know opinion as well it doesn't touch the 6's.

Best of luck to you

Bought the Votex HD...$700, then I looked through Leica. Night and day, I would rather save and buy the Leica.
I agree totally,,, Ive hunted for years with cheaper Bino's, put up with fogging, bluring, etc, so I saved a bit, and bought some Leica's,, and now i've got a new problem, I see game with the leica's but when i put the rifle scope on the game, i find i have to mess with scope settings,,,,Hmmm, maybe a new scope?

I agree totally,,, Ive hunted for years with cheaper Bino's, put up with fogging, bluring, etc, so I saved a bit, and bought some Leica's,, and now i've got a new problem, I see game with the leica's but when i put the rifle scope on the game, i find i have to mess with scope settings,,,,Hmmm, maybe a new scope?
Maybe you are better off not knowing what you are missing. Can't afford the Leica yet, but it is on my wish list. Not doing and long range hunting any time soon.

I want to use a decent binocular for Graylag goose hunt, to scout the fields for birds and look for Rock ptarmigan to name a few things. (I live in Iceland so if my english is a little bit off, I apologise)
So the bino have to be clear enough to identify the species at least :D

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.