Bill's OK Buck

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well, Lerch and I's deer hunting has been pretty crappy over the past few years. We just haven't seen a true shooter in about 3 years. Despite our woes, we got a chance to cut out of work about 3:00 PM today to go hunting and jumped @ the chance.

After a breif stop @ Lerch's house so he could shower and wash off all of that fufu smell good stuff he wears, we were off the to the woods. On the way down we were discussing how bad our luck had been. We hear stories of guys driving up on deer on 4 wheelers and shooting deer without even aiming everyday. Here we are w/many thousands of dollars in equipment and we can't even get a shot @ a decent buck. Basically, we had about 30 mins of wallowing in our own self pitty.

When we arrived, Lerch parked right next to my stand (a tank battery) and walked about 500 yds to the south over to his spot. Once he got settled in he radioed me to let me know that he was there. I gave him the OK and good luck reply.

I constanly glassed the treeline to the west as well as a group of scattered trees to the north. They were about 500 and 400 yds respectively. As the light started to fade I began thinking about how cold it was going to be sitting on that dang tank in the morning. Just then I caught a glimpse of a deer coming out of the timber into grass field to my west. I confirmed it was a doe w/my 8x36 Nikon binos but continued to watch the area. Another doe come out, then another and another and another. There were now 4 does in the grass and was looking @ them very intently w/my Nikons trying to paint some antlers on them. I then panned to the right where they had entered the field and there he was. All I could see was his head above a plum thicket but I knew he was a shooter immediatly, even through 8x binocs!!!!

I was standing on the platform @ the top of the ladder so I quickly climbed onto the tank and got a range. 471 yds. I then looked @ my chart for my 338 Edge and dialed 9 MOA up. There was not enought wind to worry about so I put the crosshairs on the buck. By this point, I've got one of the worst cases of buck feaver in history!!! The deer is walking right to left so I aimed @ the point of the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. BOOOOM!!!!!

I recovered from the recoil in enough time to see him hit the ground and give that one last effort to live before he lay motionless in the grass w/his long tines shining in the fading light!!!!

My radio then went off and it was Lerch asking "Was that you???" I was so excited that I don't remember but Lerch tells me all he heard was "He's down!!!!! He's down!!!!!" He then asked me if it was the tall buck he had some pics of and I said "Nope, this one's a whole lot better!!!"

When we finally found the deer (in my excitement I failed to mark where he was) he was much larger than I thought!!! His G3s were about 10-12" long!!!! I had hit farther back than I wanted but I knew if I could just put those 300 gr of Pb and Cu into him I'd get him.

The rifle is a 338 Edge built by Darin Johnston. It has a 26" ABS bbl, Stiller Tac 300 action and an HS detachable box. It's only kicking the 300s out @ 2680 but the deer don't seem to mind. It's 3 for three this year!!!!

Here are the pics. He gross scored 162 5/8. The biggest deer I've ever shot by far!!!!! Thanks Lerch for helping me get him out of there.

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

Congratulations on a super buck Bill.;)

Looks like the Edge got the job done without too much trouble. Bang flop. It does not get any better than that.:);):)

Now what are you gonna get to top this one?:rolleyes:

From the size of him you probably gave Steve a good workout getting him to the truck.

Dude "fufu"!!!!

I mean honestly "fufu"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HA HA HA, cant blame me for wanting to smell good!!! :D:D

the pics really dont even do the big SOB justice, and they look pretty dang good. I been calling ya to see if you want me to do the write up for ya, glad you got off your butt and did it yourself!! BJ is right we have been having a bad last couple of years as far as hunting goes. I have been hunting this tall horned buck for about 2 weeks now but this sucker really blows him out of the water!!! The buck had a pretty good spread for our parts and his hieght was **** nice not to mention the bonus points (some call them trash points but i just cant take that away from them, give these guys credit for every point they can grow!!!!!) We were both pretty surprised by the wieght on this guy, at only 155 field dressed he was fairly light but i imagine he has been losing some weight during the rut. I was just minding my own business enjoying some rare very light snow and then BAMMMM!!!! It scared the hell out of me!!!! With that muzzle break i couldnt tell where the shot came from and i was so worried that someone across the fence had just thumped one and ruined another hunt. the deer were headed roughly in my direction but with the wind i am all but sure the does would have winded me before i got a shot. When me and BJ went to look for the deer we had a hell of a time. the land were huntin spent most of this summer in a massive flood so now the grass is like 4ft tall most of the time and we couldnt find the buck. About the time i was getting worried i thought man i bet BJ is about to flip and then i heard "F!!!!!!!!!!!K" HA HA. Yea he was stressin but then we find the buck and best yet no ground shrinkage.

truly a awesome buck, especially for our parts. I am a little jealous but it was just as much fun to be there for it all.

Congrats midget, you prove that even little people can accomplish big things!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Congrats midget, you prove that even little people can accomplish big things!!!!!!!!!!!
You had better go easy on BJ....you might need him to help you drag a big one out.;)

Good thing you were there....that 4 foot tall grass probably made it a little rough on BJ when he was looking for that toad of a buck.;)

Bud with him walkin through the grass all i saw was a blaze orange hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D Guess we need to put a bell on him so we can track him:p

As for him helping me haul out a buck, i gotta have a little luck first! I got this tall buck in mind and while he aint no where near the buck this is it would be pretty nice to shoot a buck i have captured on camera so many times and for what he lacks in size he makes up for in character. Now with a little luck we will just have to see if the short sucker shows up to return the favor????? Oh and he owe's me a truckin washin after this whole mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someday one of us is gonna remember to take a camera in the field with us. you gotta love the pics of a truly awesome buck like this but i tell you what they would have been a little better out in the prairie grass instead of the back of my pickup with the tree stand i am to lazy to put up next to him!!!!

It really is one hell of a buck guys and i am **** glad i was there for it, even though u sounded like a girl hollerin out "he's down" on the talkies midget!!!!!

congrats again bud

Congrats my friend, that is a hell of a buck. Bigger then anything I have shot by a couple inches!!! Hell of a buck and great shot. Just another testiment that high muzzle velocity is not needed for good down range performance!!!

Congrats again, enjoy this, when they come this big, they usually come few and far between. That said, next year you may shoot a book deer, thats why we keep doing this, there is always a chance for a hog.

Your first chance came and you took advantage of it.

I have been in your shoes several times being faced with the biggest buck of your life and trying to keep your cool. You did that, buck fever or not, you over came it and did what was needed to get him in the back of the truck!!!

Again, that is a hell of a buck!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.