Biily Goat at 1058 yds

Idaho Sawyer

Headed out this last weekend and found a pretty good Billy. Glassed him from a couple miles out and closed the distance to get a better look. Got to a great spot to set up and got the optics on him, He looked good and the conditions were perfect so starting getting set up for the shot. Station pressure was 21.7 with 42 degrees farenheit, 12 degree angle, Zero wind, it was 1058 on the range finder. Dialed 22.25 elevation and 1 minute for spin. Settled in and sent the 300 berger on the way. The hit connected, but it was about 1/2 minute low going through the sternum and shattering the farside leg just below the shoulder (He was bedded angled away from us) He was able to stand and make a move behind a dead white bark just leaving a LITTLE window of vitals. 2 shots later I had opened that window (300 gr bergers are great for delimbing a tree if you ever find your self in this situation) and the final shot went right through the newly created window right into the vitals and the billy made 3 big strides and piled up in the draw. got the cape off and the meat deboned and off the hill we came. Utilized my pack goats to help haul meat/camp out and both of them did great. enjoy the photos

View attachment 13028

View attachment 13029

Attachments

• SAM_0271.jpg
    SAM_0271.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 91
  • SAM_0281.jpg
    SAM_0281.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 86
yes they are reliable, but they have limits. They settle in to about a 2 1/2 mile an hour pace so if your on a mission to get somewhere you might as well tie them up and come back for them. And probably the most important thing is you have to exercise them. Your only going to get out of them what you put into them. Saying that, they are very low matainence, very low cost and easy to deal with.

Great hunt and that is and outstanding shot. I'll also be heading up into the Pio's to help a buddy of mine who drew a goat tag. Am looking forward to it. You got my juices going.................

Randy

Great shooting and a fine trophy, also thanks for the show and tell of your pack goats.

I have only heard bits and pieces and this is the first picture of goats with packs.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.