Bighorn SR3 LA help

Appalachiangunslinger

Looking at doing a Bighorn SR3 in the following year. Will be chambered in 28 Nosler. Will end up replacing my Savage Ultralite. Build for hunting.
Would say long range, but the more I thought about it I would also be using in timber and for bear. Possibly work up lighter slower loads for even whitetail. Around 270 speeds.

Any input others have about this action?
Options I should go for?
Stick with the SR3 or go with other action to have aics mags over a Wyatt extended internal. Which I assume I can get at least 2 28 Nosler in the internal box.
What should I be looking at for safety / Trigger setups?
What about bottom metal?
Stock options been looking at AG Composites for a stock. Probably the Alpine Hunter at 30oz. Adding a Spartan Javelin Pro Hunter adapter and bipod into the stock.
Probably going with a Proof Barrel Blank and having teamed for 195 Berger's
Anything I am missing here?
I think I read they offer a .mil incentive? Turn around seems to be around 10weeks.

Otherwise should I save up and go with a TI action? What are the downfalls here? I get it's a 10oz weight savings with something like the razor to or Defient. I can see issues from being too light though. In the end if I am sub 8 with scope and muzzle break I am golden. Seems to be my perfect weight for shooting and is perfectly packable. Want durability, reliability, accuracy over going lower. But would be nice to have a package with a can that is 8lbs too.
Looking for Xmas time... A present from Wife and Father.

Last edited:
No issues with the sr3 at all, I have an origin and have shot a handful of tl3. The sr3 in bdl with give you the lightest option, run a wyatt's cfe-12 box with a Hawkins M5 oberndorf bottom metal and that should give you 3 rounds down in the mag and still give the great feeding from center.(the origin long action can also be cut to accept a wyatt's extended box and save you quite a bit of money) If you want to run a standard Hawkins oberndorf bdl(non M5 footprint) I gurantee only 2 rounds will go into the magazine. You can also use a MBE-3 mag box and feed off the action lips, but I personally don't recommend that, center feed is much more reliable and only puts once direction of force on the round vs 2 when stripping from mag and chambering.

Option B: is run tl3(or origin) and Hawkins la hunter dbm(releasing this summer) using 3rd accurate mag cip mags but you'll likely end up 4-5oz heavier and be limited to coal of 3.75". The wyatt's has an internal length of 3.83 for max coal.

Whichever route you go, the alpine hunter is a great stock! I like mine quite a bit. Just make sure that you get Hawkins bdl for the cfe box, and Hawkins M5 if you go dbm setup. Enjoy the build!

Do not go TI, if you want real light, go with an anti(X) or bat vampire. Too many horror stories of ti actions gauling and set back at the lugs and they're paper weights at that point. If sub 8# is your mission, go with one the prior to stated actions, 26" light steel contour, or carbon setup in the AG alpine hunter with a bdl setup.

Last edited:
No issues with the sr3 at all, I have an origin and have shot a handful of tl3. The sr3 in bdl with give you the lightest option, run a wyatt's cfe-12 box with a Hawkins M5 oberndorf bottom metal and that should give you 3 rounds down in the mag and still give the great feeding from center.(the origin long action can also be cut to accept a wyatt's extended box and save you quite a bit of money) If you want to run a standard Hawkins oberndorf bdl(non M5 footprint) I gurantee only 2 rounds will go into the magazine. You can also use a MBE-3 mag box and feed off the action lips, but I personally don't recommend that, center feed is much more reliable and only puts once direction of force on the round vs 2 when stripping from mag and chambering.

Option B: is run tl3(or origin) and Hawkins la hunter dbm(releasing this summer) using 3rd accurate mag cip mags but you'll likely end up 4-5oz heavier and be limited to coal of 3.75". The wyatt's has an internal length of 3.83 for max coal.

Whichever route you go, the alpine hunter is a great stock! I like mine quite a bit. Just make sure that you get Hawkins bdl for the cfe box, and Hawkins M5 if you go dbm setup. Enjoy the build!

Do not go TI, if you want real light, go with an anti(X) or bat vampire. Too many horror stories of ti actions gauling and set back at the lugs and they're paper weights at that point. If sub 8# is your mission, go with one the prior to stated actions, 26" light steel contour, or carbon setup in the AG alpine hunter with a bdl setup.

Couple questions I saw right away. Stock AG Composite. Did you get directly from them with their inletting or get it done custom? I did have some questions about the action about options as far as tang size. I've also looked at the bolt knobs and prefer an oversized one. Just don't know the smoothest of all without getting caught on stuff. I am leaning toward the SR3 still I am not sure if the discount they give but it should make it very competitive with the origin with my .mil. Which they don't offer any incentives on. I appreciate the info the bottom metal. That is a tough one for me. As far as a trigger I should be good to use any rem700 style. I know many lean toward triggertech but I have an infinity for the giessele offering. Especially since it's a field rifle two stage and drop safe. Not something I can say for the triggertech. Also barrels should I stick with the shoulders prefit Zermatt Arms style or go with the Savage style and nut. I don't have much knowledge on the profits except it looks like it already presets headspace for the action. Not a bad getup if you ever want to switch calibers. Thanks again.

Ag can inlet about anything you want when you order. Anything larger than the slim tsng will require custom inletting ss well will a barrel nut for remage headspacing, I'd personally go shouldered. There are plenty of good shops out there that can spin the shouldered barrel prefit style. Bolt knobs are of all relatively the same dimensions, the Zermatt competition is my favorite of their oems, but I personally run the area419 knob in all my rifles if possible. Triggers: use what you like. I'm a TT, Timney or Bixnandy fan. Never used anything else.